What kind of cream or soap do you use for head shave?

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by fimpster, Dec 7, 2014.

1. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

I have been head shaving for a few years now, and have tried a variety of shave creams. I have settled on HeadSlick as one of my favorites. I just did my first DE head shave yesterday using HeadSlick with Weishei and Dorco stainless. It went OK, but not as good as with the Fusion cartridges I have been using. I want to stop buying cartridges as I have already been DE shaving my face for a few weeks with good results. I plan to order a new razor or two and a large sampler of blades to find the right combo.

My question is what kind of soap or cream do you head shavers use? Do any of you use a brush? And do you use the same product on your heads as you do on your face?

Thanks,
    fimpster

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. gwsmallwood

I have converted to DE completely and use the same products for head and face.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I use the same lather for head and face.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I do shave my head, it's with the same setup I'm using on my face.

Shotwell likes this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Cella and a EJ89L for the head and Cella and a straight razor for the face.

BigMark likes this.
  7. fimpster

Thanks gents,

So far there is a consensus of using the same product for face and head. I'm glad to hear this, although it is not what I was expecting.

That leads to a follow up question; do you use the same razor and blade combo for face and head?

8. gwsmallwood

Yep. My head is more difficult. More dense, more coarse, more trouble spots. That means I use what works best for my head and by default it works for my face too.

9. fimpster

So far I have only tried 2 blades on my face. Super YingJiLi and Dorco stainless that came with my Weishei. Both have been acceptable, but I expect to find something better when my 125 blade sampler arrives. :) On my head however, I was not pleased with the results of the Dorco. Tomorrow I will try another head shave with the YingJiLi and see how that goes. I am predicting that I will end up using different blades for face and dome.

10. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

I use the same razor, blade, and soap/ cream as I use on my face. I find that if I do a 2 pass with the grain, I'll get a BBS with my head. But, in the same way that some blades don't work as well on my face as others, the same blades tend to give a less than impressive shave on the head. I find that Astras do the best for me, although Wilkinson Swords do pretty good as well. I'm gonna try out a few more blades, not quite ready to take a shot at Feathers yet, though. Just take your time, no pressure, and don't go over the same spot twice without soap/ cream

11. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I use the same lather and blade for head as my face. I just do very short strokes and rinse razor very often to prevent clogging.

12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I also use the same lather and brush for my scalp that I use for my face. I like all of my razors for my scalp, but I prefer to use a different blade for my scalp. It seems that my head hair just chews through blades faster than whiskers. I generally make 2 passes on my scalp both just being front to back. If I skip a few days of shaving and the stubble is longer I always go with my Gillette New SC as it is more efficient.

Shotwell and BigMark like this.
  13. fimpster

I haven't been getting as good a head shave since switching from cartridges and HeadSlick to DE and my same face lather (TOBS, Proraso, etc.). I'm not sure yet if its the lather or still trying to find the right blade or just perfecting my technique. My face shaves however, are going just fine since switching to DE.

14. gwsmallwood

Similar experience, until I used a Fatboy wide open at 9. That was the day I finally felt like "This is why I switched". 2 passes (max) to DFS, no ATG or diagonal passes required.

15. fimpster

So is 9 the most aggressive? I have a Cadet on the way which should be more aggressive than my 34C. I wonder if that will help.

16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I think the 34c is a great head shaving razor. The short handle helps me get the correct angle and and I just let the weight of the razor do the cutting.

Shotwell likes this.
  17. gwsmallwood

Yes, it's the largest blade gap setting. I also tried a DE89, a NEW LC, and a 37c. None of them have been able to match the closeness and comfort of the wide open Fatboy for me.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My hubby uses 3 steps;
    1)Pre-shave oil
    2) Kiss my Face cream (BTW, I always kiss his face,when he says it)
    3) Shaving soap & silvertip badger brush.

He shaves with a DE & feather blades.

awk-m4 and Omelmad like this.
  19. baldeez88

baldeez88 Member

I use Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin.

20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

KMF and Proraso.