Razo Rock JAWS ---FULL Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Dec 12, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Hey Guys, I have another full review!

**Today I will be reviewing the Razo-Rock JAWS!

I bought it used and arrived today in the mail and usually let my beard grow over the weekend a little bit for Friday/Saturday/Sunday and Sunday Night shave before the TNF game.

Few Quick Notes:
    1. My 1st open comb
    2. 2nd long handle razor (1st popular).
    3. Love razo rock products. (only used the shave soap)

If you read my last review, on feather blades I recently did a first time shave with them on Tuesday. Check that full review out if you want to know more on feather blade in detail.

NOW TO MY REVIEW.

I changed up my soaps every 2 or 3 times to get a new feel on my face and enjoy trying new products. Today I shaved with the Nieva Sensitive Skin soap, and began to face lather. The only thing I do not like about this soap is the lather is good for only 2 passes. (not my 3rd and final clean up pass).

WELL on to the razor.

After soaking in 5 mins with hot soap water, I cleaned it out with a toothbrush and rinse off.

Prep --> Ran hot water (much as I can stand) under my cheeks and neck for 1-3 minutes. I then loaded my soap and face lathered.

1st pass with the grain
    2nd Cross grain
    3rd Against the grain.

The razor is VERY aggressive, I will warn you it is definitely closest shave I've EVER had. I have a very rough and thick beard and to be honest, all my other shaves with a safety razor have been OK, decent at best. I've tried multiple razors, blades, soaps, technique etc!

This razor definitely was a GREAT buy!

Ratings:

Weight: 10/10
    not too heavy which I like, I enjoy the razor in my hand and not have to balance the weight.

Length: 10/10 - Love having a long handle, definitely makes finding the angle a lot easier and less stress in forming my hand to a short handle. (I have rather big hands)

Value: 10/10 - New was $15.00 - I got it for $12.00 Very cheap and as my 1st razor, I would recommend Razo-Rock Products.

Finish: 7/10 - I was not CRAZY about the finish, I love the pattern on handle and little thing on bottom(logo) but nothing AMAZING. (who really needs it be when it shaves as it does?)

**Only downside to this razor and for me it was not a big deal cause I NEEDED this. The razor itself is VERY AGGRESSIVE. I mean will SLICE you up if you never shaved with a DE razor before. If you are new to DE shaving buy this, but wait a few months to try!

I did use a feather blade, my 2nd (3-pass shave) with it. I will use 1 more time and then toss. I felt the shave was amazingly CLOSE and BEST shave yet by FAR!

I'm still on hunt for best RAZOR / SOAP. Right now my favorite is Razo-rock Fresco (only soap I tired through them) but PERFECT lather, slickness. everything.

Razor is between Feather / Lord right now. After this shave I think feather is better. But time will tell!

That wraps it up for today!

Look out for my review on 39c slant by merkur coming Christmas and 23c. Also with some extra/surprises.

Thoughts / Questions / Comments? ----Lets hear it?

Steve

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice Steve! My youngest son uses the Jaws also, loves it.

Robyflexx, Bama Samurai and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice review. I have 4 OCs already and don't need another. Well, when has "need" stopped me?

Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, I keep wondering whether I should add one of these to the cart when I'm buying from the Italian Barber.

Though, you missed an opportunity to pair a RR razor with a RR soap!

5. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review. I was looking into the JAWS this week but now I'm 100% sure I'll buy one.

I also have very thick and rough beard. The Merkur 34C is doing an ok job at times but I get the feeling I need a more agressive razor to achieve a closer shave.

6. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

my vote is YES. if you come across 1 there should be no hesitation. You probably would get the same shave from any open comb (i assume they are all mostly aggressive).

I would look into the 25c...or Mulhe R41, Razo Rock RAKE

I LOVED my first shave with it.

Just be CAREFUL it is very sharp ....CLOSE shave. probably closest youll ever get. no joke

sb

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice write up!

8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I passed on the Jaws because of the lack of warranty disclaimer. I bought a modestly higher priced RazoRock razor that ended up having a slight blade alignment issue. Still better than the Cadet OC razor I bought that has a drastic blade exposure difference between the two sides. I have two RazoRock and two Cadet razors. Quality control appears to be a bit of a gamble.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Is your OC Cadet a three piece or TTO?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  10. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

My Cadet OC TTO is great. The three piece is the one with the issue.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

To clarify, the conception that OCs are all more aggressive is not true. They are subject to the most of the same issues with head geometry that an SB/CC would be. The Merkur 25c is actually very mild; one of the mildest razors available. Muhle R41is not truly an OC; it is a hybrid comb. It is (particularly the 2011 version), one of the most aggressive DE razors available.

This is actually a really good resource for trying to guage how modern DE razors compare to each other:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

As always, YMMV

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Aside from blade alignment issue's, how do the Merkur 25C, Cadet OC and RR Jaws compare? Does anyone know for a fact if the Jaws and Cadet are made by the same company?
    I have a Gillette "NEW" LCOC and a Cadet OC and I'm wanting another OC. The FaTip, 25C and Jaws are the OC razors in contention as of now. :)

13. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I'm 98% sure the Jaws is a Cadet head. From your choices, the merkur would be super mild and the FaTip would be quite aggressive - even more so than your Cadet. I'm not sure where the New LC would fit in the ranking though. How do your New and Cadet compare in terms of aggression and performance?

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

RazoRock Jaws are Cadets.

I had a Jaws that I got in a PIF and liked it a lot. I included it in one of my PIF's when I got my NEW SC. Great bang for the buck and a good shaver.

[​IMG]

15. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Yea I'm getting the Merkur Slant 39c and want to review that.

How do you think the 39c will compare to the Jaws?

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

For me the NEW and Cadet shave fairly closely. When I first began using the Cadet I thought it was a bit more aggressive, although only slightly than the NEW, after using the Cadet for a while now I think they give fairly comparable shaves. :)
    Much as I'd like to try the FaTip, I dislike the aggressiveness of the Muhle R41 I just got and I've heard they(R41&FaTip) also shave comparably. It's looking like the Merkur 25C is going to be the OC razor I try next. :D

VedderLG likes this.