Ever tried this sharpener?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BJV, Dec 22, 2014.

1. BJV

BJV Active Member

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The next time I'm shaving in the garage or in the Serengeti, I'll have to give this a shot! ;):D

BTW: what works on knives for sharpening rarely transfers to the sharpening of SRs.

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

No

youngunn and GDCarrington like this.
  4. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

looks like a good way to break or crack a blade. a knife is a knife a razor is a razor. would you open a letter with the razor you shave with?

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I would never try that with my straights! :eek:

youngunn and GDCarrington like this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The edge of a car window would be an edge dresser at best and I've used it at the deer lease many times. It works for a knife quite well. A razor? That'd be dumb.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

What he said.. ^^^^

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll try just about anything a couple of times. I wouldn't do this with a straight razor. I'm real happy with the sharpening results I'm getting, no need to try a car window.

9. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I imagine the car window will be between 250-1000 grid. A finishing hone is 10,000-12,000. Any edge you could put on with a car windshield edge would need major repair. Long arm hair is not facial stubble and you can shave arm hair with almost anything reasonably sharp.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used the edge of a car window like that for sharpening a knife and it definitely will work. How ever sharpening a straight razor to use on your face is a different matter. Think of all the various DE blades you can use to shave with, that are literally "razor sharp" and are made specifically to shave with, that don't work well if at all depending on the persons skin, beard, technique or prep. That said you could try this method of sharpening and it may actually work for you. But the odds on bet is that you'll get a "TERRIBLE" shave, "HORRIBLE"" irritation, wind up donating a little blood and "ABSOLUTELY" worst of all ruin the edge of a perfectly shave sharp straight razor. :(

As @Omaney said if you need to touch up a knife edge to gut a deer or rabbit, cut some cordage or whittle some wood into a stake and all you have available is the edge of a car window then use it. That car window trick will work fine, you can also use a piece of smooth concrete the same way, although IMO a good sharpening steel will work better than either and is "ALOT" more portable.. :happy088: For your straight razor use a proper hone and a good strop..

11. BJV

BJV Active Member

I had NO intention of ever subjecting my straights to this; I just thought it would be an interesting topic since I had never heard of doing this. I do, however, plan on trying it on a knife or two.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about damaging my car window!

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Won't hurt it at all. I've used the window edge a hundred and twenty-seven times. No problems.

BJV likes this.
  13. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I really hope no one tries this.
    Knives and razors are different ( as mentioned in the previous responses to this post) I have experimented with knife sharpeners and other sharpening gadgets ( not recommended) and every other way you see online to get a razor sharp. The result "fail". Every time!

Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it. You need the right gear and you need a lot of practice and patience to home/strop/shave with a straight razor.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dang! Now you tell me!
    :sad023:

JoeB likes this.
  15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Done a lot of Elk, Moose and deer hunting and yes I have used that trick. ( on knives only)