Let's talk...Strops!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

It's just good science.

2. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. Either way I hope the newbs aren't trying these methods.

3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Horrible joke -- I pity any straight razor newbs who see this on YouTube and don't have enough knowledge or experience to realize other wise before subjecting their razor their to such blatant abuse...

Along that vein though, and the original intent/comments of the thread, am seriously considering a little experiment wherein I do a few refresh (edge first) and/or stropping stokes (spine first) with water on a coticule before each shave in place of stropping on the leather.

As it is, I am currently using a Tony Miller bridal leather strop. Prior to that was a TM red latigo, with a few others occasionally thrown in (kanayama, etc.). Didn't really see a noteworthy difference in razor edge feel from one to the other. Very noticeable difference the feel of the draw though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Strops...

I have an old 3" SRD Latigo with poly web. How do I use it? I don't. I am just waiting on a good opportunity to PiF it to a new straight user.

I have an old 2" made from a leather belt. It's an awesome travel strop, but I no longer travel, so that one doesn't get use much either.

I have a Stropman 2.5" paddle strop I use when I am honing mobile. Easier than looking for a comfortable place to lash a hanging strop.

Kanoyama board strop.. same as the Stropman.. I use this one often.. Super light draw. Nice napped leather back on it. A little short but it fits in my palm so it works well when honing on naturals that are also palm held.

Tony Miller Artisan Horsehide with linen. Great hanging strop. I love the medium light draw. It's one of my everyday strops.

Scrupleworks Oil Tanned Horween Horsehide with cotton. I adore this strop. The draw is a bit heavier and ofter referred to as magnetic feeling. It's got barber ends, which I prefer over handles or rings. What an amazing piece of work. My second everyday strop.

wristwatchb likes this.