First lather with a boar

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hodge, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Picked up an Omega boar # 10005 brush today (only brush i could purchase locally). Brought it home and tried a quick lather with my Wilkinson soap and it was almost instantanious whip cream. Much easier than my Parker black badger brush. Maybe I got lucky or maybe its just easier....

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's just easier! Congrats..:)

Hodge and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Omega boars are great brushes for the price.

Doryferon, Hodge and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Omega is my super fave! I love the lather produced by boar bristles. And yeah...it's easier than badger.

Doryferon and Hodge like this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Maybe it is a combination of good fortune and an easier brush. In the recent past Omega seems to have been working to "flag" some, not all, of their brushes more to produce a softer up front experience rather than a long break in process by the user. Semogue (another predominately boar brush maker) has some videos showing the "flagging" process but you have to know what to look for when you view them. Flagging is a process many brushmakers use to soften and explode out the very tips of the boar hairs. Paint brush companies use this techinque on their boar brushes as well.

I am glad you hit it off with you new brush. Enjoy!

InspiringK likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Omega: It's just easier.

Doryferon and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Very nice. My first brush was also a locally purchased Omega boar. Since then I have added a number of brushes to my den and also sold many of them, but I still enjoy using that Omega from time to time. I'm not surprised you didn't like the Parker too much. I know there are people who have a better appreciation for them, but I don't like either pure badger or black badger brushes at all.

I've never heard of this, I guess it makes sense. I know my Semogue boars have tended to be softer than Omega. Do you know what flagging entails?

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Flagging entails applying mechanical movements at the very tip of the hair or fiber using flat board or spinning wheel in a controlled fashion allow the hairs to split at the ends.

What most people don't realize is what we have called the break in process of a boar which is, soak it in water, use it on your face (regardless of how uncomfortable or comfortable it feels) and let dry, is simply using your face as the flagging device after the brush has left the factory. What we in traditional shaving call the break in process is no more and no less than the continuation or beginning of the flagging process depending on the condition of the hairs.

If you want to avoid using your face as a flagging device to break in a new brush, do not go out and rub the brush on a hard surface such as bricks or sandpaper as has been suggested. That can really damage the hairs and cause tears rather than splitting. Don't use this method.

To continue the flagging process you simply do the following. On a daily basis soak the brush and rub it in soap and then rub with as much pressure as you would on your face for 5 minutes on a flat smooth board (like a cutting board for food or a synthetic cuttiing board) and then let dry. Do this for a month and your brush should begin to show signs of splitting unless it is all clipped boar. Clipped boar will split but it will take much longer to do so. When you see splitting your brush will be much more enjoyable to use than without splitting.

Here is a short video of a broom maker flagging a brush. Exact same process but it is easier to see.

I hope this helps.

9. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Great. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've tried sandpaper as a last resort before, it doesn't really help.

Bama Samurai and GDCarrington like this.
  10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations on the Omega! However, wait until you try a good 2-Band knot like a TGN Finest. :happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Congratulations for your purchase !
    Don't compare Boars with Black Badgers,different animal-different attitude while lathering.
    The Boars need some time for breaking,i use a tray with cork because i have lot of brushes and my face can not manage all of them for this task.

:rolleyes:

12. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

Nice brushes the Omega boars! I got one about a month ago. I really like it. To soon to tell if it's going to break in and be as soft as the Semogue but it's a nice brush either way.

13. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I love Omega brushes...Cheap and great performance. I entirely retired my badgers and I tried a few Omegas.

tuxxdk likes this.
  14. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

The Omega boar brushes are fantastic and for the price they are unbeatable! They're worth 2x to 3x what you'll pay for one.

15. LaSalle82

I have an Omega Pro and a Semogue 1305. I have more control with the 1305 as it's a shorter loft. However, both broke in quickly and are identical in softness while retaining good backbone. Use both regularly.

16. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

While the Omega's are a distant second to Semogue in my book they are still in my top three favorites. I have abandoned all but one or two badger brushes and find the boar, Omega or otherwise, is the most comfortable and efficient for me. Congratulations on your score.

Dare I say, if you like it right out of the box, you're going to love it once it has a chance to soften up, split and get broken int well.

Cheers!

17. LaSalle82

I especially love the look of the painted Semogue's (the 1305, 1438 & 1460). They look awesome and are very old school. I have both the 1305 & 1438 which are top performing brushes after breaking in. However, I ruined my 1305 by soaking it past the knot and all the green paint chipped off due to the wood swelling and contracting. This left me with an unpainted handle with a perfectly broken in knot. I only run the 1438 under warm/hot water (bristles down) prior to use to wet and this works great. The 1305 has been PIF to a friend along with some TOBS Jermyn St & RazoRock XX who wanted to try a brush and real cream to go with his new DE razor. (He didn't know what razor it was, it looked to me like one of the RazoRock or Parker TTO. Nice razor, very heavy). I will now be able to replace my 1305 when the time is right. Too many new items at once is never a good thing as you don't get to enjoy them without wanting to try the next........

18. numerouno

numerouno Member

Can't go wrong with an omega ! tried and tested stuff. always brings a smile on my face when i use it.