39c FULL REVIEW!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Jan 4, 2015.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Good afternoon GENTS!

So my birthday is next week and my girlfriends parents bought me a few gifts cause they were leaving for a small vacation and little did I KNOW?!!!! I got a 39c and some soaps

Quick Notes:
    First Slant
    3rd Merkur
    next addition will be adjustable

So I usually shave Tues/Sunday unless there is something in between such as a big meeting for work or party to attend....weeding, etc that ill shave night before or night of!

So my Sunday routine is wake up have coffee clean room and then shave/shower before Sunday Dinner (at 12:30/1) pasta, meatballs, rabbit, espresso the usual.

ANYWAYS

I lathered up my new soap RazoRock XXX (had the fresco before, personally I think the Fresco is ALOT better than XXX) IMO I like the XXX, dont LOVE it.

I did 2 pass shave...and a cleanup ...what I have been looking for few months is a DE razor that I can get away with a shave with the grain and against the grain and be done. I felt like DE shaving takes ALOT longer than my usual 2 pass shave with a cartridge razor but I understand it is 2 different things.

So I went at it with the 39c, I loaded with a LORD blade. Currently my favorite.

1st pass with the grain
    2nd against the grain
    clean up. Went diagonal and around chin line.

It was a very effortless shave with no nics, nothing! compared the JAWS it was just as close with ALOT less irritation.

The biggest difference I noticed is when I used the aftershave balm by Nieva, it did not BURN like it would with the JAWS.

Everything about this razor on my face was just WOW, slickness, no tug and pull, no nics NOTHING.

Also with the jaws, it was very nice razor just TOO aggressive for me causing irritation and not an everyday enjoyable razor. the 39c can easily be an everyday razor for ME.

Its a nice size, i wish it was a little lighter and longer but HEY beggers cant be choosers and in this case with the quality of the shave I GOT....ill take the weight/handle.

Thoughts/Comments/Questions/

Let me know!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you have found your favorite blade and like the razor, then spend some consistant time with it and let your techinque grow with this combination.

Enjoy!

Tdmsu and spacehobo like this.
  3. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Total opposite of YMMV for me. I get irritation free and efficient shaves with the Jaws and Astras. I had a 37c that I recently sold, and it would literally tear my face up. Blood in places that I had never seen before. I gave it 3 chances, but it just didn't cut it.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:greet002: It's a great thing to be able to get the right razor/blade combo that works best for you. :happy088: Happy Shaving!

spacehobo likes this.
  5. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

it is quite amazing today. I hope every shave going forward is great as this one was. Im still looking for possibly a better blade for this razor but you know what I tried over 20 blades and really enjoy my LORD so i might just using the LORD and shave!

6. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Good luck :) I'm very happy for you. The Lords are relatively inexpensive too. Awesome find. I also love that the cheap blades are the best for me(Astras).

spacehobo likes this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like Astra SP and Voskhod best in my 39c. Excellent razor!

spacehobo likes this.
  8. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations and have a great Birthday! :happy088:

Ceferguson likes this.
  9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I enjoyed your write-up. Thanks!

My comment is "Hang on to that RR Jaws. You may appreciate it in a year."

I got a Jaws and a FaTip Grande for my birthday in late October. I was OK with the Jaws, but ready to toss the Grande after two shaves. Fortunately, my fellow TSDers really came to the rescue and I now get good shaves from the Grande. I'm thinking that the Jaws could come to serve you well... if you decide it is worth taming, that is!

<sigh>

I have "a slant of some sort" on my wish list. Good score, there. Best hang on to a gal with parents who give you shaving goodies! ;)

10. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

I will see. I love the 39c so much. Its like the cadillac out of my razors.

I love the open comb on the jaws n how close it gets. But too aggressive. For me...

Let me get use to my 39c and we will have another discussion...I would love to just use 1 razor type n 1 razor. That just works great on my skin

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Great you have found a blade and razor combination that works for you.

12. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Have you tried Swedish stainless steel Rapira blades in the slant yet? They work pretty good for me, very little irritation and burning after the shave.

13. Heatgain

Heatgain New Member

Starting in September of 2011, I had a serious case of RAD, and used a different razor from my growing collection everyday, and then settled mostly on the Gillette long-handled black adjustable. Two years ago I started using the 39C, and I haven't used any other razor since. It gives me a consistant DFS daily, and a BBS if I take my time to luxuriate in the entire shaving process. Never a weeper.
    FYI, I do have heavy whiskers.