I'm New to The Forum & Have Questions Regarding Razor Choices

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by fish_oil, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD! Lots of good suggestions above...good luck!

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This ---> *click* is the razor you should get. :)

Troy M and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Nice job linking that!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seems like a lot of folks forget about all the great stickies we already have established.

GDCarrington and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

I am trying to use them too. I am linking to them on the 30 Day thread...so many resources already in place! I gave the guys the master sticky and the glossary specific link. No need to rewrite the wheel so to speak. :)

6. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie just at it a week. I use a Merkur 23 which has a long handle, so far I like it very much. I am in the process of working through some blade samples and have had a week of great shaves. Take the time to get a good lather with the product you choose and take it slow. I found with the Merkur it is very easy to keep the blade at the proper angle to your beard. Welcome and happy shaving.

schuckter, Troy M and clint64 like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

The merkur is a very capable tool. Master it and you will become a happy shaver! Check out what some of us, old and new, are doing over here --January 2015 30 Day Rule Pic/Discussion Thread- All are Welcome! I hope you enjoy your shaves and TSD to the fullest!

Troy M likes this.
  8. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I would also recommend the EJ razors, based on personal experience but I wouldn't say they fit the long handle requirement. A vintage Schick Krona has a long handle and is probably a good choice for getting started, there's one listed here in the classified forum that looks to be still available, for sale by ps1160, but you might be more comfortable starting out with something new.

The Shave Den Shop has a blade sampler as do a number of the online retailers.

9. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO TSD, read some forums about DE shaving, practice and patience, you are in the right place. Enjoy yourself.

10. schuckter

schuckter Member

This sounds familiar! I made a similar post just a few days ago. I will say, the people here at TSD are great, and genuinely want to help you get started & see you do well with this. When you ask a question you will get a prompt response with a ton of great info from a huge group of people who have been at this for a long time. And don't be afraid of getting too specific with questions, there are apparently no dumb questions here. I know, I've tested it.

I haven't actually started wet shaving yet, (I'm still waiting for my first razor in the mail) but my only advice is to look around locally for vintage/antique razors. I never realized how many are out there! Take a look at antique shops, thrift stores, or check craigslist and you should be able to find some good equipment on the cheap.

ALSO, I wish I had paid the few dollars more for quicker shipping on my Amazon order. I'm still waiting on my stuff.

11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I started also with the Edwin Jagger DE89, great razor for beginners, it's beautiful crafted and it does a great job without being aggressive. Also a blade sample pack is a very wise advice.

Check the Bevel razor and their site : https://getbevel.com/

Keep in mind that there is a learning curve and don't expect to get the same results as with an cartridge from the first day. Be patience and like the others said, watch mantic59 and geofatboy on youtube, it will really help.

12. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Of course, I would feel remiss if I did not mention that there are many great Shick injector razors around, and long handled ones at that, with the J and L models. They are inexpensive, shave great, and are quite easy to master, for a first single blade razor.

13. fish_oil

fish_oil New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and welcoming! Hopefully, I have made the right decision.

I decided to purchase the Edwin Jagger DE89. I also purchased a Escali badger shaving brush, Taylor of Bond shaving cream, and a Escali deluxe chrome razor stand.

14. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

I like my Muhle R89 twist two piece razor, long handle.

15. Jwilcox21

Jwilcox21 Member

Welcome, I am going through the same process myself! Lots of info but these forums can definitely help you fine tune your initial decision.

Good Luck!