1956 Gillette Blue Tip - Clean up

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had the first shave with it today which was interesting.

Now, some of my favorite DE razors are a bit more aggressive like Barbasol Floating Head, Gillette Big Boy and the Ranger Tech '41 - so I wasn't quite sure how I'd like this rumored-to-be-almost-overly-mild-razor.

Here's a pic, and a pause;
    [​IMG]

...continuing....

BUT - I must say I absolutely loved the shave today.

I popped in a brand new GSB blade so that I could at least attempt to compare it to my other razors.

Mild: Yes, it's absolutely a milder razor. Very hard to nick yourself. It's a bit like my Black Tip in that way - but even 'smoother'.
    I really liked the shave. It was efficient and very effortless to get a very clean shave in two passes with next to no clean-ups.

Ergonomics: For some reason I thought it would feel less substantial than it does. It feels well balanced to me and I really like the knurling on the handle.

Looks: I think it's purty :)

So, was it a deal in the end?
    I paid $16.50 for it. I don't that's an amazing deal in itself as a lot of these razors sell for around $20 or so but the way it cleaned up - and most importantly the way it shaved - made this a sweet deal for me. It will be in my permanent rotation for those days when I feel like a mild yet very, very efficient and clean shave :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    SRNewb, Bristle Me, Slow Joe and 3 others like this.
  2. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Purty. Want that...:love055:

SRNewb and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very nicely done!

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Great find! What do you sterilize it with?

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have a pretty simple method:

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Very nice job cleaning that razor. The important factor when buying a razor is, of course that it is 'purty'. Shiny helps too.

SRNewb and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Well. I think you got a bargain. Well done. Over here in uk, it would cost a bit more. So the fact it cleaned up well with your efforts and your happy with the performance is excellent. Good work. Enjoy. It's a fine piece.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

:signs107:

Darkbulb likes this.