DMT D8C Dia-Sharp

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by emmijack, Jan 10, 2015.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

After using wet and dry paper on a glass plate to lap my stones for some time now, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a DMT D8C whetstone , hopefully looked after it will give me many years of faithfull service, does anybody have one, and how do they work on the norton 4/8k Combo???

2. Tiddle

Tiddle Member

They work fine. Best tip is to lap under running water; especially higher grits as the dmt will suck itself onto the stone. If just a lite lapping to draw up a slurry a few quick back and forth passes is sufficient. Also overtime the space between the diamond coating gunks up, some comet a scotch brite pad warm water and vigorous scrubbing solves that for me.

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. emmijack

Thanks for your Advice, will bear that in mind when it eventually needs cleaning!!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: I like to use 'figure 8' motions when lapping with the DMT plate. It is prone to 'sticking' on some stones so tis good advice to use either very damp or with running water—as suggested above.

Tiddle and 45auto like this.
  5. emmijack

Sometimes used to stick when using wet and dry paper if i didn't use enough water, so i will take your good advice and use running water, Many Thanks!!!

6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

You will need to break them in as well the advice I was given was rub the plate on a larger screwdriver shaft to knock off excess abrasive. I did not know this when I got mine and gouged a Naniwa super stone nicely

7. emmijack

didn't know you had to break it in, would probably have damaged my stones as well, That's good to know.
    Many thanks.

8. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Member

Yep, they come with high spots that must be broken down. I use a piece of mild steel bar stock.

When you get your lapping plate broken it, try not to use it for anything but your artificial stones. They do wear and if you keep hard steel and natural stones off of it, it will stay in that sweet zone for a long time. Natural stones can be particularly harsh.