What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have learned that the Mongoose with Kai Mild blades is not going to give me the 2 pass shave I was looking for in this razor. After the 30 day January challenge, I will be trying out other blades in a hope to achieve the goal of a consistently great 2 pass shave.

2. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

Pressure, or the lack of goes a long way for a great shave! :wave:

macaronus, youngunn, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  3. Jtfrye

Jtfrye Member

Better technique needed

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Try switching hands. It really only takes about a week to get used to it.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is common. Right handed people tend to lose the angle when they go across the body. (Vice versa for lefties!)

Gentlemen, from my last shave...

I didn't learn much. Just had a good shave.

Welcome to WDWL!

Another thread you should really check out is Shave of the Day or SOTD, it's a great place to see what goes on around here with DE razors.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    youngunn, trey06dmd, idvsego and 2 others like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

• The resulting slick & fragrant lather one gets from working diligently with Mitchell's Wool Fat, is well-worth the extra effort involved.
    SafariScreenSnapz244.jpg

youngunn, dbersh, Boojum1 and 7 others like this.
  7. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

Good to know, I will keep an eye on that.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Do you bloom your MWF? Very nice looking consistency in that bowl.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I learned that Barbon aftershave is probably one of the most underestimated aftershaves on this planet. Or at least outside of Hungary. I'd put this against Osage Rub any day.

youngunn, Bama Samurai and DEfettish like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dampen the puck the previous day/eve so its is 'bloomed' & softened when its shave time.

dbersh and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It is helpful to rinse your brush and then soak it in fresh water for a few minutes after you finish shaving. This helps dissolve any soap/cream buildup.

youngunn, jakie55 and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good advice on the switching hands! You'll find becoming more ambidextrous in shaving may alleviate some of the irritation you may have been experiencing with the awkward angles.
    I am 100% lefty-dominant, but somehow managed to master using a straight razor in my notoriously clumsy right hand, so anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

13. idvsego

I learned that I shave like a 3 year old with my left hand. That was incredibly awkward. I may need to practice with an unloaded razor some. In sports I was always decent with my left hand/foot but the mirror threw me off really bad. It was laughable. But I did slow down with my right this time and no nicks.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I shave my left side of my face with my left hand, and right side with right hand, always have. I'm a natural lefty living in a right sided world. I suppose this has helped me to become ambidextrous. When I try to shave with my left hand for the entire shave it's awkward, and I do notice irraton on my right side. Go figure..

youngunn, jakie55, Delawhere? and 2 others like this.
  15. idvsego

I think it's easier for a lefty to adapt because you have been forced to in some way most of your life. I will get there. Just another thing to tackle in this hobby.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I agree. You will start to notice a change in a very short time, keep at it.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I learnt that if I feel like I shouldn't shave, I shouldn't shave =P

18. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

I've learned that that proraso is a soap of the heavens . After2 poor bowl lathers, I switched to a face lather. What a truly wonderful product. I've switched to the trusted muhle r89 so I can just enjoy the product without over analysing the shave.
    ( hopefully I won't be posting tomorrow " I've learned to concentrate on the shave and not get complacent. !!!" )

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've learned that I have great legs.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sara, is this a recent self-revelation or did someone point this fact out to you? :D:happy088:

I'm waiting for one of the guys to state, "I've learned that I have a great face!"
    :lyrtuy5:

macaronus and Bama Samurai like this.