January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Great idea @Drygulch

Here is what I learned about my Weber/Voskhod combination. 2 passes, both N/S, always gave me a socially acceptable shave. 3 passes always resulted in DFS. I also learned that Voskhods are good for 6 shaves for my whiskers.

I also learned that Cornhusker's Lotion is a necessary part of my prep. The shave was never as smooth if I skipped this part. I'm not sure if the Cornhusker's helps keep the water on my face or if the glycerin just gives enough slickness to make a difference.

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Nothing about using a skunk as part of your prep? I almost fell out of my chair from laughing when I read that...

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I was wondering the same thing. I know I learned that, in some cases, having a loaded gun is a necessary prep stage for a shave. I'll never get caught without one.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You can do a PIF any way you choose. As long as it doesn't cost the winner anything, you post it in the freebie forum. You can say for everyone, or for those who participated in the 30 day focus group.

Bama Samurai and txskimo like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

SOTD
    January 28, 2015

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Brush: Omega Pro 49
    Lather: RazoRock The Beach
    Aftershave: Stirling MITA
    Fantastic shave. The beach is superb! I love Stirling MITA aftershave! Rod added a little extra kick :Animatedfrozensmily: for me.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm trying my best to forget the skunk musk prep!

You never know when you need it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/28/15 - BSG Day 28
    Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - C.O. Bigelow
    Razor - Edwin Jagger 89l
    Blade - voskhod-teflon-coated.jpg (2)
    Post - RazoRock Alum Stick & Pinaud Clubman

Another very nice shave. Seems like it's consistently good now as long as I just do what I know to do. I find myself getting a little heavy handed on the touch up, which the alum is very happy to remind me of. Other than that no issues and another great performance from the Voskhod. Smooth and close, what more can you ask for.
    BSG Day 28.jpg

jakie55, wristwatchb, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 26 of 30
    30 DAY RULE with a Slim

image.jpg

J2 Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Kroger Israeli Personna
    VDH Kit Badger
    TSD Lanolin Shave Stick - Barber Shoppe Scent
    Today's Great Cheap AS™ is Skin Bracer!

Well Gents, we are nearing the end...

I am now getting consistent good shaves out of the slim on nine...going for another later! Back with a report!

Keep on keeping on! Happy Wednesday!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    jakie55, wristwatchb, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

A summary is a great idea! I will be doing one!

I have had the best luck with XTG on nine on my neck. And buffing strokes in the first pass have really helped this combo.

10. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/28 – Day 28 of the 30 Day Rule - Shave #24 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (5)
    Today’s Results: 2 pass XTG/ATG no touchups. CCS. One more shave to go! (Not shaving Friday but will recap)

11. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Day 23
    Prep: Hot shower
    Brush: Van Der Hagen (the one from the premium kit)
    Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury
    Blade: Hill Country (rebranded Personna)
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89

Nothing new but I changed blades today and wow what a difference. Glad to start learning when to learn when the blade is at it's final stage.

Also here's the PIF link if anybody is interested
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/pif-noxzema.42906/

jakie55, wristwatchb, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 28 (Day 27)

Pre: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
    Razor: Mongoose
    Blade: Feather Professional (day 3)
    Brush: Kent BK4 silvertip
    Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth soap & glycerin
    Shave: Two-pass plus touch-ups
    Post: Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, and unrefined shea butter

This 30-day adventure has allowed me to learn how to get consistently great shaves with no nicks or irritation using this set-up. I have incorporated alum back into my post-shave routine, and I'm amazed at the difference it makes in skin feel and in eliminating razor bumps.

I look forward to using a new set up beginning next Monday. I'm returning to my Feather Artist Club razor loaded with a Feather Pro blade. My last adventure with this razor proved to be quite a challenge. I'm hoping it will go better this time, as I now have a few months of additional experience. This will be my first go with a two-band silvertip brush. I've heard great things about these brushes, and I'm about to find out for myself!

I hope you all had a great day and a fine shave!

SOTD_0215_Kit_1.JPG

13. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

SOTD 26/27/28 - 30 Day Rule:

Prep: Shower, Proraso PreShave
    Soap: Arko
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger
    Post: (DIY Splash - 3 parts WH, 3 parts Aloe Vera Juice, 1 part VIBR, 2 drops Glycerin). based on the one @maltedmilk posted

Sorry for posting these late. I've been insanely busy at work. I may try to catch up for the next couple days, though I actually started early so I really hit 30 days on the 25th. Anyway since I created a day with the slim, and hit up some menthol soap I'll continue until 1/30.

Anyway still getting great shaves and so far I haven't missed a shave only posts. The tech is really a great performer, and now I want to get some of the other versions of the tech. I learned tons I think about technique, and my face does ok with ATG passes now. I've also learned that I like menthol and cold water shaves.

This was loads of fun, I'm glad we all did it, and thanks to Chris and Gary for organizing!

Ps sent from my phone, please forgive errors.

14. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Shave 19 of 30 day BSG
    Shower - Hot Shower
    Prep - Warm Water Splash/Cornhuskers Lotion
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Clubman/Real Shaving Co Soothing Balm

3 passes plus touch ups didn't catch the baby but got a couple weepers and a DFS. The Parker 99R with Wilkinson Swords is a darn fine shaver. Only a few days left. Can't wait to break out my Edwin Jagger DE89BL and the Plisson and the blade sampler I got. Also considering getting a OC razor maybe Muhle R41, Fatip, or a Gillette NEW. Any suggestions? Leaning toward a Fatip price seems just right.

15. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

WOW. Day 29 of 30, and I most definitely caught the baby tonight . Three passes just like yesterday, and the same angle, but I took a little more time, and moved the razor slower. I could "almost" hear each whisker being cut. It is amazing how the GEM SS teflon blades last. (and at a tiny fraction of a cart!!!)

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thursday! Day 21
    • Music: Hans Zimmer, Interstellar soundtrack
    • Prep: hot washing cloth
    • Brush: TGN a-grade silvertip badger in Oscar11 handle
    • Soap: Cella
    • Razor: Gillette Slim @9
    • Blade: Derby #4
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up
    I haven't posted over here for a while, but I haven't dropped out. skipped some days (hence day 21 today). Some changes have occurred:

• After the first weeks of bowl lathering I had about 6 face lathering days. The brush performed great! :happy088:

• When we started I dialled the Slim @4 for the first pass and dialled up for each next pass until the touch-ups @7. Last week I treid a few shaves starting @6 and dialing up to @9. Nice as well! Until one day I forgot to dial the Slim down to 6 for the first pass and ended up doing the complete shave @9 without a hitch but with a BBS result. Can't say I hated it... ;)
    Have a great day, ya'll!

SoS 2015-01-29.png

17. RaZorBurn123

SOTD
    January 29, 2015

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Astra SP
    Brush: 22/52mm Silvertip KonigShaveDesigns
    Lather: Martin de Candre
    Aftershave: Country Club Southern Oud
    Great shave!
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

18. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

When I got up this morning I cleaned some of the proraso gunk off my Parker Boar handle. I do believe after this month the brush is permanently mentholated. lol...

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/29/15 - BSG Day 29
    Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - C.O. Bigelow
    Razor - Edwin Jagger 89l
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Post - RazoRock Alum Stick & A/V Musk

One more to go for the month. Today went smooth as silk. The Voskhod is just as good on day 3 as 1, but that has been how it's performed all month. Will give it a fourth day tomorrow and I'm sure it will be just as good. Alum was quiet after 3 passes and near BBS. Could chase it down on my neck but no reason to. It's all good.

Six out of six Russian girls prefer a man with a Voskhod shave.
    And may I say Большое спасибо to the ladies for those stylish hats, since I know you all noticed them first!​

BSG Day 29.jpg
    Большое спасибо is "thank you very much". And thanks to Google for that!

20. Bama Samurai

Look into a Cadet OC from shaveabuck.com

TrentRTR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.