shave ready razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by robert taylor, Feb 1, 2015.

1. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Hi all
    How do I know when my cutthroat is
    Sharp enuf to shave with? Many thanks inadvance
    Razorboy54

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Many questions
    is this your first SR shave
    Have you don't the arm hair test
    If so have you done the actual shave test
    Did you hone it or buy it honed or have it honed

We all have different ideas. Mine fall into make sure to have the razor honed by a pro if this is a first time SR shaver
    If you have stones - I like to start out on a Nanaiwa Chosera Pro 1K, then onto the Norton 4k,8k combo, then Naniwa 12k and finish on the apache strata. On each stone I go mostly by feel on the stone. I do look at the edge with a loupe and check it with the thumb and arm hair test but it is mostly by feel and what I hear. After honing I like to use cro ox on linen about 10-15 times, then 60 linen and 100 leather. From then on I do 35 linen and 50 leather after each shave. There are many other ways to accomplish an edge but this works for me

For a new shaver it sometimes will be hard to tell if it is shave ready because you do not know what it is supposed to feel like and shave like. That's the reason a newby should never start out without absolute certainty that it is shave ready

lindyhopper66 and ARGH like this.
  3. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Are you honing it yourself? The answer is more complicated if your asking how to hone it.

Nothing beats the shave test... Use it. If it pulls and tugs, it's not sharp!

To be frank, if you're new to straights, there aren't any tests that beat the shave test. After all, every other test is focused at creating a comfortable shave... aka the shave test. This is my number one indictor of whther the blade is good or needs a refresh.

That said, I rely on visual inspection and the Thumb Pad Test (TPT) as well. Both of these require some level of learned skill. Basically you roll your thumbpad onto the blade, you should feel the edge gripping into the ridges of your fingerprint. Needless to say you need a stead hand and light touch to do this test. For visual inspection, I use a jewelers magnifier, 30x. Any indication that the bevel and edge are deranged, show micro-chips or damage.. The best indicator I find is seeing a reflection of ambient light anywhere along the cutting edge (not the bevel face, the very edge, where the two bevels meet).

You can also try the Hanging Hair Test, but IMHO, there are too many variables to this test.. it's parlor tricks.

Arm Hair Test, aka Tree Topping can help. Passing the blade above the skin of your arm or leg to it's just clipping the tips of your hair.. They should fall away silently.

As I said, all of these tests require some level of skill and experience. The shave test is easy... it shaves cleanly without pulling, or it doesn't.

Cheers & Welcome!

lindyhopper66 and ARGH like this.
  4. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Hi ok
    Lets begin
    Yes it is my first s/r
    I had my grandads rolls razor about 40 years a go
    He never used it so its brand spanking new
    Honed/stroped
    Used it fantastic
    Got a Gillette butterfly razor
    Used that fantastic
    Used d/s blades good /ran out went to buy more
    Way to expensive bics a lot cheaper so started useing them
    Now 2blades/3blades replasments 5 for £10/$15a shot now
    So guess wot its now cheaper to buy d/s
    600 for £13/$$19 so looking forsome d/sblades
    Found a cutthroat razor was a bit cheaper so got
    2 and started to use them
    Now wot to keep uesing them cos I like the shave
    Its a lot better
    Now I would like to make my own after shave/shave soap /shave barm etc
    Now I have
    Started to use sr was not shave ready
    So had a go my self your all going too say on on on
    But I used 600 grit wet/dry paper
    Then an old purple slate roof tile
    Then chrome oxide powder on canvas apron
    Then some leather off cut from a bag I made
    But I think it cud be a bit sharper
    All thow I have only used half my bandaids
    I got a alum block from my local store for £2/$3
    Wich helps but it stings like f------un
    Hens wonting to make my own barm
    Ok enuff for now
    Once a gain thanks inadvanes
    Razorboy54

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

All above are correct.

Did you buy vintage or new? Vintage, unless you bought from a person who restored it, will need to be honed. New factory edges usually need some light work to make them comfortable.

Only shaving will tell you for sure. If it is your first shave, make sure you go slow and use no pressure. Taking the edge down your cheek should remove hair effortlessly (for the edge) you will need to concentrate. It make make a sound like buttering toast. This is ok as long as you do not feel it pulling your skin or feel the need to force it to cut hair. You need to stretch your skin when shaving with a straight.

If the razor tugs at the hair pulling your skin (uncomfortable) it is not sharp enough.

6. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Hi it was new

7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

You are looking for an inexpensive way to hone? Send it out for pro honing or try lapping film up to .3 micron on a piece of glass

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Not sure if I have deciphered what you said

But You bought 2 razors (what brands)
    They shaved well enough to impress you with the shave
    Then you decided they were not shave ready ????

Then you "Honed" them using some unconventional methods
    and now the shave worse ???

Solutions:
    Get them honed
    Learn to hone

Learning to hone is a skill in itself, although it isn't very complicated it is a learned skill..

Bristle Me and lindyhopper66 like this.
  9. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Hi bought from shop
    Nondescript sandbros is the name on scale but rubbed off first use
    That so possibly shave ready but not true
    So honed/stroped polished one
    Its ok but id like it sharper drags a bit on face

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I apologize, and I am not being disrespectful

But I honestly have no clue what you just tried to type..

I would be glad to try and help but I just don't know what you are asking :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    lindyhopper66 likes this.
  11. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Hi I am wonting to know if there is a way to tell if my razor is sharp enuff to shave with
    I dont know how to tell?
    Sorry if spelling is wrong I am dyslexia sorry

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Ok @robert taylor

First here is a vid from an old friend of mine :)

This however is the true test

Keeping in mind that the Sharp tests are used WHILE honing and the Shave test is really the only one that counts...

The system you are using to hone is very non-conventional, not impossible, but it is going to be a steeper hill to climb..
    Using WrD sandpaper to set a bevel is possible but is also very destructive to the fine edge of the razor, the least expensive 1k stone is the King 1k and can be found for around $20..
    I used it during many of my honing vids simply because it is so easily accessible to many people, the Chosera 1k is at this point in time considered to be the premier bevel setter on the market by those of us that do this for a living..

There are many ways to go after the bevel is well and solidly set, here is a break down of many choices

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/some-thoughts-on-honing-razors.14931/

You might also google the vids that Myself and Lynn Abrams did years ago on "One Stone honing" there are several available to watch

I am also still very unsure of the razors you started with, could you post a Pic or a Link to a pic of them ????

Basically the more info you give me the more help I will be :p

Welcome to the Den :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No problems on the spelling and Glen will help you out with the videos. Good fortune on getting your razor ready.

14. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

2015-02-01-23-44-25.png 2015-02-01-23-44-25.png Hi I have this one and a purple one i know colour dont matter
    Thay cost my about
    £7/$5for both

15. robert taylor

robert taylor Member

Sorry forgot thanks for the vid links very helpful

16. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Try the whippeddog dog. Larry has a hone it yourself deal and you get feedback on honing.

17. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Have them honed profesionally and I'm sure your results will get better. You'll be very happy you did so