What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Mojorisin35

Mojorisin35 Active Member

I learnt that the angle of attack is THE key to getting an irritation free bbs shave with the Muhle R41. With the handle nearly touching my face the r41 sang.I'm In love although I may have overdone it...

image.jpg

Bristle Me, jakie55, youngunn and 2 others like this.
  2. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I have learned that I prefer an aggressive razor. I get a much better irritation free shave with far less passes. It takes a little more care but it is worth it.

DEfettish, jakie55, youngunn and 6 others like this.
  3. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

That my Gillette New just passed my 40's Superspeed as my #1 razor in a little over a month

Gillette New LC.jpg

4. maliboy67

I learned today that I will use my Gillette slim for a week or two, then go back to the 39c. I need to get better technique and figure out what I can and can't do with a more aggressive razor before I use the 39c again. I had the worst shave ever today when I went xtg below my jaw line and left a blood trail on both sides. No cuts but weeper city I guess it's all part of the learning experience.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat? Still the shizna. English Aristocrat Jr? Awesome.
    Osage rub? I think I sprouted another manly man chest hair.

jakie55, youngunn and HolyRollah like this.
  6. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I learned that even a tried and true "go to" blade can produce a dud. And a nightmare shave :(

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I learned that when trying out a new razor and blade....don't try them both at the same time as that makes it impossible to figure out why you got a great - or bad - shave.
    Doh!

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

That a shave stick and subsequent face lather is much easier than I had imagined.

9. maliboy67

So call me a glutton for punishment or always up for a challenge, either way I went another round with the 39c and an Astra SP blade this time. Had a great two pass shave with no irritation. Seems the Astra SP really like me.

Bristle Me, 45auto, youngunn and 2 others like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Williams...still good stuff.

youngunn and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Synthetic brushes require VERY little water—no presoaking necessary—and that the good ones rival the performance of a quality badger brush. :happy088:

jakie55, 45auto, CyanideMetal and 3 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am thinking about going with a TGN Synthetic knot for a new handle I have coming in. I see that you used a 24 mm knot for your olive wood handle. What size was the opening in the handle? I appreciate your help.

13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am doing thirty days with a Plisson and have observed this also. Synthetics do a great job of mixing air into the soap! The Plisson has made face lathering even easier.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gentlemen, from my last shave...

A modern injector blade runs its course (on my face) in seven shaves. Should have quit in six!

jakie55, CyanideMetal and youngunn like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The handle vendor stated the opening is/was '25mm' which was very close. Tight fit for the 24mm knot, but it worked.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks so much for the information.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

I learned that even with a pretty dense five day growth, the Ikon 102 / Personna blue combo mowed that stuff down quickly and without tugging at all.

Also learned I still have to do a better beard map and be extra careful on my neck. So the next shave will have to wait until the sensitivity subsides.

18. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Always give your hardware a quick exam. I found the blade had a defect on one of the edges. It was bent and raised up in one area. Caught it and disposed of it, but it was probably why my last 2 shaves weren't very nice at all.

19. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I learned that the Schick twin 2002 DE blade is pretty cool and gives a good shave

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I learned that I like Psychos.