Show off your re-plated razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A lot of you have had your razor(s) re-plated - and I'd love one thread to be able to admire what you have gotten done. Please also include who did the work for you. I know I am for sure looking to have about 4-5 razors re-plated this year and would love some inspiration and see what work is done out there.

If you got before and after photos that'd be fantastic - but if not just a photo of the re-plated one will of course suffice :)

2. gillette24

gillette24 Active Member

[​IMG]
    This 1959 Gillette Fatboy was done by Razor Emporium in Phoenix, AZ. Took approx 6 weeks door to door but that was over the holidays so I would assume it could take slightly less time. I'm happy with it. They gave that beautiful piece of art new life!!

Tattoobob, Thalasos, gorgo2 and 10 others like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Wow

4. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to this thread. I have heard that Razor Emporium is wanting to bring replating under their roof and not out source it. I have two that will be sent off shortly to be done.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Razor Emporium did this one. I don't have any before pics.

Attached Files:

Tattoobob, Thalasos, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

+1!!

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My understanding is that has already occurred.
    I sent off a '61 Gillette Fatboy to Razor Emporium on 2/9 for their $20 tune-up. A review will be written.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

$20 tune up? Forgive my ignorence but what does that consist of or is that just for the plating?

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

First my 1958 Executive replated by Chris at RazorPlate in 24kt gold. This one was a bit tired looking with most of the gold plating worn off. It also had some mechanical issues that were corrected by Cap'n Murphy and his magic hands:

Before - After.JPG

Next was my 1958 Fat Boy. Picked this one up on the BST at B&B for $40. This one was replated by RazorPlate in a custom combination of black and white rhodium! It had no mechanical issues, but Cap'n Murphy graciously took it apart and cleaned it inside and out. Then RazorPlate plated the parts while disassembled.

Before & After.JPG

Tattoobob, Thalasos, ObiDon and 7 others like this.
  10. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

That is sweet work there! :)

Tattoobob likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very, very nice. I am strongly considering Chris at Razorplate for the razors I'm hopefully having replated this year.

Is CapNMurphy and Chris in the same location and/or is there some sort of tag-team relationship there?

A couple of the razors I'm considering have done are in need of some minor technical/functional tweaks and I'd like to keep it simple and have it all done in one place.

Herm2502 likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Always happy to show off my only replate, my Gillette NEW sc.
    new_plated0.jpg

Boojum1, Tattoobob, Thalasos and 10 others like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Need shades. Nice!
    :cool:

14. gillette24

gillette24 Active Member

Razor Emporiums price for replates(REVAMP) is based on the metal you choose. For ex: Nickel is $50. The tune up service is $20 and they do not replate it. They take it apart clean and sanitize it and fix any issues. I have a 1960 Fatboy that I sent for a tune up that had a bent head that caused uneven blade gap. I didn't want to risk taking it apart myself so I sent it to them to fix it and they did. It took like under 10 days door to door and that's PA to AZ. You can catch sales that they do and order the services a little cheaper. I got my revamp 20% off on Black Friday with a coupon code. Follow their Facebook. Think right now they have a 15% off coupon code I saw last week on their Facebook page. Might send a 1930s New SC in for a REVAMP. We'll see

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Chris (RazorPlate) and Cap'n Murphy (also named Chris) are not together, but they work closely together. Cap'n will fix the razor and send it to RazorPlate for plating. Then RazorPlate will return it to Cap'n Murphy for reassembly and then he will send it back to you. You can find Cap'n Murphy on the Badger & Blade Forum. Repairing razors is his hobby, not his business. He does the repair work just for the fun of it; he doesn't ask for payment! (But send him something anyway, especially with all the shipping going on.)

Chris (RazorPlate) is a true craftsman, real pleasure to deal with, and his attention to detail is amazing. He's very busy right now so contact him first (email on his website) before you send anything to him and he'll help you coordinate things.

Believe me, using these two gentlemen, you will not be disappointed.

ObiDon likes this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

They have already did update their shop for in- house plating.

17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg
    I saw your Fatboy in a previous post. I really like the black and white rhodium. I think it looks great.

I also had this TV Special replated at Razor Emporium. I don't have before pics on this one either, but it wasn't in great shape. It didn't close properly and some plating was gone. It came out well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    ObiDon, Tattoobob, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Razoremporium does indeed have a current discount code: VDAY2015 (15% off - valid until March 4).

Tried to do a rough price comparison between RazorEmporium and RazorPlate:

[​IMG]

* Mechanical adjustments/repairs;
    - RazorEmporium: Included in the cost,
    - RazorPlate: Can be performed by Cap'N Murphy, potentially for free/gift

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Tdmsu, Tattoobob, Thalasos and 2 others like this.
  20. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the research on this.

Herm2502 and Darkbulb like this.