Lower Neck Irritation Help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by malibuboats91, Feb 14, 2015.

1. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

Hey everyone! I've been DE shaving for about 4 months now. I have a EJ DE89 and a Gillette Super Speed. Both give me wonderful shaves but I've been having issues with irritation on my lower neck. No matter what I use I still get redness. I've tried different blades, shaving creams, after shave balms and preshave oil. I think that it mostly has to do with the scents. The best I've found before today was TOBS Avocado.

Today I went to AOS and picked up a sample of the unscented stuff and have it a try. I used my normal Shave Secret preshave oil then used the AOS shaving cream and post shave balm. I still have irritation but it's down from what it normally is. Do you think that it's worth the investment in the AOS stuff? Or do you have any other recommendations for my lower neck? I always shave very lightly in that region and only go WTG.

Here's a picture of the irritation. Keep in mind it's normally much worse. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423961898.850035.jpg

2. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

GDCarrington and Bristle Me like this.
  3. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

Thanks for the video. I actually watched that a few months ago and still nothing helped. Kind of disappointing.

4. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Sorry that did not help - Stay with it; hopefully some of the other quys will add their experience.

5. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Hmm. I'd try various scent free soaps and creams to see what works best. What do you use for a brush? Do you just do 1 WTG pass or multiple?

6. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

I have an Omega Pro 48 and a Whipped Dog Silvertip badger. I do two WTG passes. Even after the first it seems to be red.

7. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Boar can be a little scratchy til it breaks in. Is it any better when you use the Whipped Dog?

8. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

No it's actually not better with the badger. I use that 99% of the time.

9. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Hmm. I'm stumped. Have you tried a cold water shave? Or Witch Hazel?

10. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

You did not mention if you use a brush or whether you bowl or face lather.
    If you do, I would suggest trying a synthetic.
    They are gentle and most are inexpensive. e.g. Body Shop's is $12 CAN. and it is excellent.

11. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

Yeah I have tried both haha. I don't know what to do. My Gillette fusion and Aveeno shave cream never caused this.

12. michaelAD

michaelAD Well-Known Member

I had issues with neck irritation. I held off on shaving for a few days and really looked at which way the hair grows. Turns out a north-south pass on the sides of my neck was more of an across the grain. My suggestion is to take a few days off and really map out the growth where you're getting irritation. It not be the solution, but it won't' require buying any products.

Drygulch and Tdmsu like this.
  13. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

Yeah mine actually runs East-West on the bottom. I go that way but it doesn't help.

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm... This is weird. Have you tried all this with different blades?

When I just got started I used derby, now they are sharp and shaved me decently. I always, ALWAYS got razor bumps. And I was just going with the grain.

If you havent already, I suggest trying other blades. =) I hope you figure this out soon

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

do you wear a tie for work?

16. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

No I don't typically wear ties. Honestly it's red right after I shave. I feel like I'm being extremely careful and watch blade angle closely. I've tried most blades. The best are Astra SP and 7 o'clock Yellow.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my advise, Prolly ain't worth much, is to hold off on the pre-oil, warm soapy water prep. maybe twice.
    Jack Black supreme cream, advertised to be dermatologist tested and recommended.
    hate to give you advise to cost you money, but I'd say try that.

18. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Check the ingredients in not only the creams, but the pso. Use only those products that are not chemically loaded. Personally have a sensitivity to SLS. Good luck in finding the right choice.

19. malibuboats91

malibuboats91 Member

Thanks for all of the replies! I did a little experiment today. I prepared my face as I always do. Shower, wash my face, shave oil and jermyn st. Today I used my Gillette fusion instead. Absolutely no irritation!

I really enjoy DE shaving but I don't know why it's causing the irritation. I use the blade angle shown in the beginner section and am very light on my neck. Any input would be appreciated!

Tdmsu likes this.
  20. CLT Fox

CLT Fox New Member

I used to use the Aveeno cream before converting. Best canned stuff around, IMO. I'd say take a couple days off (at least for that area of your neck). Try the Aveeno again and see if it clears. Aveeno has colloidal oatmeal for soothing properties. Perhaps you could try white Proraso tub? Does your grain change directions there? Looks a bit like it.