Böhler Stahl 'Star of David' Razor

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Feb 15, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I recently completed a razor that's been hanging around the shop unfinished for months.
    I picked it up mid-last year off ebay, and was compelled by the unique history of the company: an Austrian company started in 1870 by two Jewish brothers, Emil and Albert Böhler. Their company stamp (a Star of David) reflected their faith and was used extensively in all their metal work. By the time the 1930s came around, the political climate in Austria had changed and the Böhler company was compelled to remove any symbol considered 'Jewish' and thus the Star of David was removed. Today, Böhler Steel is an international company with a solid rep for fine steel.

The straight razor itself was in pretty beat-up shape, but had real potential.
    [​IMG]

Many, many hours of fine detailed sanding & polishing to remove years of built up grime, scratches and gunk—and yet not harm the existing white and gold wash. Tedious work, to say the least.

Getting close to the finish line and and assembly...
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up, polished and honed….
    11/16 carbon steel blade, round point; stainless pins & washers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many tight detailed spaces on the blade that require cleaning…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The steel took a very keen edge. Finished off the Apache Red (8-10k) > Apache Strata (10-12k); linen & leather strop. I originally had anticipated selling this razor, but after all the time I've invested, coupled with the quality of the shave it gave, I'm holding off and will simply enjoy this unique razor. :)

Tiddle, Monkeylord, crackstar and 6 others like this.
  2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Beautiful work, beautiful razor!

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent work Kevin!

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Very nice!

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

You do great work!

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Beautiful, great job.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

8. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I shall probably never see such a razor but your photos are some compensation.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

To be honest, I've only seen one other Böhler Stahl straight razor— Jamie Mahoney was working on one some time ago and I recall him referencing the 'Star of David' icon—which piqued my interest in locating one.
    Supposedly the steel used on these is exceptional.

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Really well done

That took some serious time to get done and it shows in the quality of the overall restore Kev

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Wow... what a beauty!

HolyRollah likes this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Never sell that! (but if you do I will be all over it). What a beautiful piece of history.

Of particular interest to me as I am of Austrian descent....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  13. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Beautiful work on this razor! Congratulations.

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Very Nice.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Amazing!

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice work Kev

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Of all your razors you have shown, this is my favorite one. I may have even broken our #10th on this one.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

To top it off, this beauty turns out to also be an exceptionally smooth shaver as well.
    Unlike the many razors that pass through my hands, I can safely say that this Böhler is a keeper! :love055:

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks great! Fantastic job on the restoration, and I like the story behind the razor!

20. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Bohler Stahl razors made some of the finest razors and steel to be found anywhere, I manged to pick up a mint one a few months back then foolishly sold it I regret it to be honest it was a super shaver and held such a superb edge.

Bohler Stahl (steel) dates back to the 1800s in Austria Vienna.
    After some quick research I was able to find that this German cutler was actually a Jewish company which was forced to remove its stamp from their razors during the Second World War - a Jewish Star of David which this razor would have had during pre Nazi Germany.

HolyRollah likes this.