Gillette SS polish needs help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cutthroat_trout, Feb 8, 2008.

1. I acquired an early 50's SS in which the polish on top has a soap film appearance. I have boiled it, used scrubbing bubbles, and Brasso Polish to remove the appearance to no avail. What else can I do ?

2. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

I've had good luck using Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. You'll need many Q-tips.

3. Brasso is basically alum polish - What is Mothers Mag ?

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

"Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish
    This is our legendary metal polish. Mothers®’ secret formula balances a brilliant shine with easy use for aluminum wheels and parts, brass, alloys and accessories. Application is just a matter of a clean cloth and a little elbow grease. Mothers® Mag & Aluminum polish is strong enough to put a shine to the most neglected metals and gentle enough to use on a regular basis."

5. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

great stuff

Mother's Mag Polish is great stuff. You can buy it at Wallmarts, in the auto dept. It does a real :signs107.

6. I have hit it with polish after polish after polish and the surface still has a "water spot" appearance. Any suggestions ?

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

Pictures? Maybe it's micro pitting or something. I just started cleaning an old Penn razor that I thought had the plating worn off. It turned out to be a layer over the plating, maybe tarnish.

I use rouge silver polishing cloth. You first rub it with a red cloth to apply the polish, the a yellow cloth to shine it. I don't know the brand name. I got it on line.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a SS that has a similar appearance, but I think mine is from wear. I think it is worn through the plating. No amount of polish seems to get it looking pretty, but it is a great shaver. Probably why it got so much use.

9. I suspect this is what has happened. I have it designated as a travel razor. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.