Blade question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by David Green, Feb 17, 2015.

1. David Green

David Green Active Member

Do you take your blade out after every shave or leave it in? Why?
    Crap sounding like school teacher writing a test. Don't worry, this isn't for a grade.

macaronus, BeeGee and GDCarrington like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

With the exception of carbon steel SE or DE blades (to put on a paper towel to dry to reduce rust) I will leave the stainless blades in the razor and Injectors stay regardless of type.

RaZorBurn123 and David Green like this.
  3. David Green

Now that makes good sense. I didn't even consider carbon steel vs stainless.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What Gary wrote.

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I clean my razor after each shave, mostly Gillette Adjustables that have all that extra stuff to gunk up, and keep the blade out till the next shave. I spritz some isopropyl alcohol on the razor and blade and pat dry to finish. I know, over kill. You should see what I do when I wash my 14 year old SUV. Still looks new.
    image.jpg

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

i clean razor after every shave, just pat dry blade put back in razor and hang back up for tomorrows use

Radiotube likes this.
  7. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

+1

8. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I take mine apart and clean it to remove any soap remnants on blade and the plates. Then I let it all dry and put it back together til the next time!

9. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

My Rolls Blade comes out and is thoroughly dried after every shave.
    It is now about 60m years old.

macaronus likes this.
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

so I asked this in another thread, but does anyone store there blades in baby oil?

and @David Green, love the avi pic. im a hockey player myself

David Green likes this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I remove the blade, rinse and pat dry on toilet paper, and put it back in the wrapper with a mark on the wrapper that indicates number of shaves on the blade. I do this because I use a different razor on every shave, sometimes I'll have a couple of different blades going at the same time depending on the razor being used, and I also rinse and dry the razor before putting it away. Every time.
    As far as any oil, on a stainless blade it isn't necessary. On my SE blades and my straights, which are carbon, I use a light coat of mineral oil to help prevent rust.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I generally use a different razor every day.
    I strive to use one blade at a time, till it's used up, or I'm done with it. usually 3/4 shaves.
    I usually take a pic for sotd, then clean-up my area. mostly I remove the blade, put the razor away. blade sits up high to dry(5yo in house).
    sometimes I pick tomorrow's gear, sometimes I pick in the am.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take the blade out, hand strop, put in the next razor up in the rotation. Wipe down the razor I just used.

14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I use a different razor every day so the blade comes out, gets patted dry in a folded hand towel and then goes into a small plastic box that has a desiccant packet in it until the next use.

Radiotube likes this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

troopers method sounds best to me, but sometimes my blade doesn't find its way to the little box with the dry pack in it.
    just lazy on my part. they frequently end up on top of a hand towel way up high. se's would definitely have to be put away.

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

60m as in 60 million? :p

(BTW, I do the same with my Rolls)

17. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I usually hit it with rubbing alcohol to dry it out. More for the razor's sake than the blade. I generally only use a blade for 2 or 3 days.

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've always used a SS blade in both SE and DE. My razors of choice for the last few years have both been 3 piece razors. So all I do after a shave is loosen them up rinse well, quick blow dry, arm strop for 5 or so passes, retighten and then hang them back in the rack(wooden test tube holder) to continue air drying till next use. When the blade finally gives up the ghost, anywhere from 4 days to whenever, I no longer keep track, I just use the blade till it no longer performs or starts to hurt. When I disassemble the razor to change blades I wipe/polish the head and handle, reload a fresh blade and start again..:)

19. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I always take the blade out, rinse it off and towel dry it. I also rinse off the razor and dry it with a towel as well, then I put the blade back into the razor for the next use. I found that doing this instead of leaving the remnants of lather on the blade makes the blade last at least twice as long.

20. David Green

Great replies, Thanks everyone!