An agressive razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DE/OMEGA76, Feb 18, 2015.

1. DE/OMEGA76

DE/OMEGA76 New Member

Hey fellow de shavers, 3 years into de shaving, and finally found the nerve to switch to an open comb razor!! The FATIP GRANDE. So far its one of the best I used!!! So what does everyone who used it thinks of it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The Fatip is an excellent razor and the first aggressive razor I owned. Glad you like it.

DE/OMEGA76 likes this.
  3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Yeah, pretty aggressive. With some extra care I can get some fantastic shaves with it. Kind of a toss up between that an an R41.

DE/OMEGA76 likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Not a fan.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes it is aggressive. Yes, there are those who love it. And some who aren't fans (typical of pretty much any aggressive razor). I found the FaTip to be sufficiently aggressive/efficient in providing a decent close shave, but for me, it drew blood more often than not. It is not as aggressive as the Mühle R41 (especially the 2011 version), not as smooth and more prone to blood-letting on me. The fit and finish on the FaTip was not up the same standard as the Mühles—however the FaTip costs about 1/3, so one needs to set expectations reasonably, I suppose.

GDCarrington and DE/OMEGA76 like this.
  6. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I just started my week with razorock Jaws I picked up recently. Similar razor and I enjoyed it. At the prices you can find the fatip and Jaws, I think anyone with a thick beard should give them a try. @DE/OMEGA76 what blade did you use?

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Fatip and Cadet are both on my list of razors to try. I'm doing a Lent Restraint, so it might be a while...

8. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

For me the slightly closer shave of an aggressive razor is not worth the added discomfort and care required to use it. I prefer an effortless (brainless) shave, especially at 0500 on a Sunday morning.

Sal, SRNewb and BeeGee like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Older FaTips suffered from QC issues which caused for many inconsistent shaves. The Piccolo being at the lowest price end seemed to suffer the most from these problems. Many people report with the new Grande models that FaTip has improved their QC. It sounds as if you received one of those units and are enjoying your shaves.

With that I bid you a warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on hardware.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It still amazes me how much preferences differ in these areas. I can't figure out how to use a mild razor without irritation. The aggressive razors are nice and smooth.

12. Star

Star Active Member

13. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I recieved a piccolo on PIF, put a new handle on it and I alternate days between it and a muhle r41 (2013) model I really like it. The handle fit can be a problem though

14. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Over the years as my technique improved, I gravitated to the most agressive razors because of their high efficiency and low effort. I believe good technique and aggressive razors are a perfect fit.

Ceferguson likes this.
  15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I think most of it is in what each of us considers a good shave, I'm happy with a DFS while others won't settle for less than a BBS.