Solid cologne

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Darkbulb, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I use one that Right Guard makes every day.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I am making the assumption that solid cologne is not the same as deodorant

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have used some & made some. It is basically a solid lotion bar with a high concentration of fragrance. As you say, it's nice to use and doesn't spill. But be careful of taking it with you, if the weather is very hot, as they will melt around body temperature.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

I know, but that's immediately what sprung to mind. @Sara-s makes a really good point about heat. This is something I'd be interested in trying, actually.

Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I read up on this a bit and, little did I know, this is actually a very old concept that fell out of fashion decades ago but is now seeing somewhat of a comeback.
    I'm rather intrigued as this could be great for the gym/travel/office - and well, San Francisco barely ever gets hot :)

7. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

That's nice. I've never heard of solid cologne. Might give it a shot.

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I've never heard of solid cologne before. But why not? Great for travel, as mentioned in the thread. I have a solid homemade lotion bar that I use occasionally at home. It's great for travel and I guess it could be a combined cologne/lotion if I added some essential fragrance oils to it.

9. Mr. Shaverman

I believe in days of yore most colognes were solid. Alcohol was for drinking and not as common to come by as it is now.

Darkbulb and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

Those look very interesting. I've not heard of them before. I don't usually wear cologne because it can be overpowering, but these sound like its a much more mild scent. This could be right up my alley!

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Overpowering if applied like too many people often do.
    I've never had any compaints with a single dab or spritz behind each ear and one on the neck.

12. michaelAD

michaelAD Well-Known Member

I tired one made by Diptyque called Philosykos. The scent was great, fig with some green and woodsy basenotes, at least to my nose.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. I saw some of these the other day. They might be better than the ubiquitous sprays being foisted on us.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. I ran across some at Southern Season here in Chapel Hill NC. They were made by Fulton&Rourk, a small enterprise based in my hometown of Winston-Salem. Pricey, at $46, but the scents were nice. I like the idea of solids since nearly everyone has gone to sprays, which I detest.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I agree, the ones I've seen have been on the pricey side. I like the concept a lot though.

16. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

I've never seen or heard of this before now, I think it would be great! Help stop the waste.

17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive got two (bay rum, aussie sandalwood)from NZ Fusion Botanicals on order. Having always found sprays too girlie for me, hoping this is the manly answer.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do post how you like them. I have yet to try a solid cologne myself but I really liked the idea of it.

I read one of the reviews about it that said that it smells completely different on you after about 20-30 mins than it does in the tin - which apparently was a really good thing as it supposedly smells amazing then :)