looking to buy new razor . what are your choices?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wingnut28, Mar 3, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you want just one razor no need to go for a 5 piece set. That will bring the price down to $185 or so. Still not cheap but a little better.

I would really consider a Gillette New open comb razor. I find my Long comb to be fairly mild but very efficient. For reference, I started out with a Merkur 34c as well.

178-bplatoon and DEfettish like this.
  2. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

For that price it better give me a BBS on the first pass.

BeeGee likes this.
  3. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Slant!! Slant!!! There are a good selection of mild yet efficient slants on the market. If ATT S1 is too rich for your blood, go with the iKon SC 102.

RaZorBurn123 and Ceferguson like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpg Haven't seen Weber mentioned yet. If you want heavy, here it is! My son loves his.

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I agree my ikon slant I started with after 3 mo of wet shaving to only discover it's acutally a very mild razor and a very comfortable shaver

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Weber is not currently making/selling heads. They are very hard to come by even on the secondary market right now.

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My Father always said "You pay for what you get" ....... but yes that price is a little like pouring on an open wound, it does get your attention. Also it's only money!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Unless you must have a completely SS razor Merkur, Muhle, Maggard, Cadet, Sabi, Parker, Edwin Jagger89, FaTip or Vintage Gillette are all good razors. They also can be had for less money than ATT, iKon or Feather AS-D2.:)

9. marvs

marvs New Member

+1, I recently got the ATT M1 (least aggressive) with the Kronos handle and it is a heavy razor. Shaves well and the owner gives you a 30 day exchange if the M1 is too mild exchange for the R1. It's $185 on their website but, stainless steel will last your lifetime and probably several of your offspring's lifetimes!

I guess what turned me to Stainless Steel was some horror stories about dropping modern razors that are made of zamack (I think that's the correct word). They are not brass like the old razors and when dropped the screw will snap off and now you have a no razor!

10. wingnut28

wingnut28 New Member

I have pretty much decided to go with open comb this time . Looking at merkur . The next on after that will be a slant. Some of the razors at 185$ and up are a little to much $$ . I belive you get what you pay for . Seems to be a lot of choices out there for under 100$