I got Derbied!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

It seems I'm a slowish learner. When I first DE shaved as a kid, if I remember correctly [doubtful] the blades we could get were Gillette or Wilkinson Sword. But now I have all these new blades I just have to try :) . Derby were ok the first couple of shaves, the odd nick and a weeper or two but I put that down to quite awhile away from cold hard steel with a super sharp edge. Well I decided today to give them the benefit of the doubt - zap a severe nick in my top lip. My technique isn't all that bad but man I'm not a fan of Derby blades. Great close shave yes but I've found Feather blades more predictable. At least they don't pretend they are not going to cut you. Of course YMMV :)

Steve

wristwatchb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Derby blades work for some people, in some razors. I've only had luck with them in a pre-War Tech and in a Gillette New Short Comb. All other razors I've tried them in are a massive tugging and stinging experience.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They tear my neck up.
    Refuse to use 'em.

But that's me.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Don't like them at all.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd rather die at sea than grab a life preserver tossed by a Derby blade. Terrible things. I'll have no truck with them.

VedderLG likes this.
  6. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I get awesome head shaves with them

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Hates the Derby, hates it!

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Not a fan, may work well with the right razor, but I haven't found it yet.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Plutonium.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't believe I have actually purchased any Derbys. I got a pack when I got my EJ DE89 years ago. I do not recall having any problems with those blades. However, I have moved on. Maybe I am a dullard or something, but I get along with just about any blade. I had one Voskhod that I had to toss after the second shave, but I usually get good mielage out of my blades.

11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

not a fan

12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

My experience has been they tug more than they slice.

13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Really comparing opposite ends of the spectrum when comparing a Derby to a Feather or vice versa..................

14. txskimo

I'll take all the unloved derbies and give them a loving home

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

and share half with me. ;)

I too do just fine with the dastardly, dreaded Derby. :)

derby_extra_5_pack-350x350.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    txskimo likes this.
  16. txskimo

Deal! Maybe we need to create our own cool club haha

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Shaving with Derbies is an all day shave with lots of bandages. one of the dullest blades I've used

18. txskimo

There must be witch among us. I just got my first bad shave with a derby. Two days ago all was good then I changed the blade since I forgot how many shaves it has been....no bueno

19. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I tried one Derby blade and it was harsh so I tossed it after 1 shave. I don't have much patiences with blades. I found after fearing them for my first 2 months of shaving that Feathers work for me in every razor I have. That's all I use now except for the occasional stray that comes into my Den.

20. Mister C

Mister C Member

Same experience here. Finally found a pack of Personnas and life was good once more. Since then I loaded up with a couple boxes of 100 online. Should be good for a while.