Boy, that's a sad little plastic brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Misphit, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

My wife and I went to an estate sale shop today, as we normally do on the weekends, and were looking through all of the cabinets that had potential shave items in it and spotted this sad little plastic looking brush we had seen previously in past weeks. I was about to move on past it again when the straight razor box next to it called to me so I got the sales persons attention. It turned out the box contained a Durham Duplex razor which I had many of so I started to walk away when my wife suggested I look at the brush. Reluctantly I agreed and we were both surprised that it was so heavy. It tuned out to be brass and not plastic as we suspected so I started to fiddle with it. I gave the knot in it a gentle twist and felt a little snap and the knot came off in my hand much to my surprise. The clerk was happy because they have a "You break it, You bought it" policy and in her opinion I had broken it. I was actually very pleased to find a brass handled shaving brush and even though I tried to put on an outward show of disgusted resignation to her. It had a $14 price on it but they use a markdown numbering system as the item gets older so it ended up costing $8.40 when it was time to go. Well, when we returned home I got out my inside calipers and was surprised to find that the knot hole was a little over 21 mm. I was thinking it was 18 mm at the most so this made me very happy. I jumped online and ordered a 20 mm finest from The Golden Nib and will wait patiently for it to arrive.

Here it is before cleaning with metal polish.

B1 (1).jpg B1 (2).jpg B1 (3).jpg B1 (4).jpg

2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

And after polishing.

BC1 (1).jpg BC1 (2).jpg BC1 (3).jpg

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Those brass brushes will really sit down in the palm while lathering.

Nice score! Enjoy!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice! Some guys have all the luck.. :) Congrats!

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding, he shoots he scores!!!

7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very nice! Can't wait to see it with the new knot:eatdrink047:

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What a Great Score.
    I'm mad that I didn't see it first. :angry019: I also jealous :angry017:. :angry021:

9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It pays to look, and then look again I suppose.
    Man, that is pretty!

10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yeah.... with the limited surface area, I an thinking of roughing the inside with my Dremel tool for better bonding. Thoughts?

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. That is appropriate to get extra grip. You will also need to score the base of the knot as well.

On metal you will be really well served to get JB Weld clear. A lot stronger than most truly clear epoxies and it gives a little more time to set so you can work with it.

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-ClearWeld-Syringe-25ML/dp/B00K5OLFDW/ref=sr_1_10/184-3514526-7198429?ie=UTF8&qid=1426460316&sr=8-10&keywords=jb weld clear

Misphit and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jim great find. Looks great now but with a new knot it will be something very nice.

Misphit, PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nice brush! I probably would've glued the original knot back in and tried it first.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I would have passed it by at a glance too, thinking it was cheap gold-colored plastic. Good catch.

15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Looks great after polishing.

PatrickA51, Misphit and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Ordered

Well, if it was glued in, I may have tried, but I have this phobia about using knots that I don't know the history of.

GDCarrington and PatrickA51 like this.
  17. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

You might try some Brasso on it.

86f31021.jpg

OohRahBS170.jpg

Home Depot carries it.

GDCarrington and Misphit like this.
  18. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Nice score.

GDCarrington and Misphit like this.