My Arko Extra Fresh (Ice Mint) Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by BaldSoxFan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Went to a local Middle Eastern grocery store yesterday on my lunch break and noticed that they had Arko Extra Fresh (formerly Ice Mint apparently) shaving cream, so I picked up a tube to try. 100g tube for $2.99 wasn't bad either.

Price: 10/10....At $2.99, I would say this is one of the best values I've seen.

Quality: 8/10: It's not a top shelf cream, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Subtle cooling, decent shave, and I like the packaging.

Scent: 7/10....Not a bad scent at all, just a bit too subtle to me. It's like a slight minty smell.

Lather: 10/10...With just a tiny dollop in the bowl, I was able to whip up a healthy lather very easily and quickly with my boar brush. There was enough to do 3-4 passes easily.

Efficacy: 9/10....While the shave wasn't as close as the artisan soaps I've used, it was more than acceptable and for the price, I can't complain.

Moisturizing: 7/10....There doesn't seem to be anything special in it as far as moisturizing, but it's definitely more moisturizing than the canned goo out there and my face felt fine afterwards.

Recap: At $2.99, I would DEFINITELY buy this again. The store was almost out of this product, but if they have it again next time I swing by, I may get some more. I like how easily it lathers and how the menthol kinda sneaks up on you after a few strokes. On a side note, My girlfriend also thought it was neat how most of the label was in Turkish.

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review! I've been interested in trying this cream. I'm a fan of Arko's regular unscented cream and I figured this would be pretty good too.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have the Ice Mint cream. It's a good cream, but I haven't used it in over a year. I might dig it out of my box soon and get some more shaves with it.

crackstar likes this.
  4. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

I've never tried using a cream with my brush before explain how too brothers.

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Sounds like a nice cream, thanks for the review. I have wanted to try this cream. This makes it sounds like a nice cream =)

6. Ryan B

Wet your brush, shake out the excess water, apply a dollop of cream to the end of your brush, build lather on face, add water as needed.

Or put some in a bowl and build it.

crackstar likes this.
  7. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Thanks. Well I did write Ad Copy for a living before :)

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

SoxFan????

Are you in MA, and anywhere near the Boston to Worcester corridor? If yes, would you mind PMing me the store name and address....

9. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

No, I am in Jacksonville, Florida. Originally from MA though.

SDK likes this.
  10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks bud! Someday I will find an easier local source than going to Cambridge or NYC. Well, I can dream, can't I ;)

11. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

I feel your pain. I'm still trying to find Palmolive menthol around here cause I cant justify spending $13 (with shipping) for a tube. However, I was still so thrilled when I saw that we have an Indian chain grocery store here now and discovered that they have Palmolive Lemon and Moisturizing on the shelf for $2.99

SDK likes this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Nice- I have two Indian groceries within walking distance, as my town is loaded with international tech companies. Neither carries a single shaving item. Not even cartridge stuff :rolleyes:

13. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

There's one area here where it might as well be Little Bombay. There are 5-6 Indian grocery stores in a 2 mile radius. One has Godrej but not menthol and most carry Dettol, of which the Cool isn't half bad. One of them even had Old Spice shaving cream, which I'd never seen before. Oddly, not one of them carries blades or razors of any kind.

14. Ryan B

I live in Tampa. If I ever head up that way, I'm going to check those places out.

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Ice Mint is the only cream from Arko which has a significant menthol sensation. The Moist version is also mentholated, but the cooling sensation is very subdued.

Bird Lives likes this.
  16. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I found an Indian store here in PA, owner has Godrej products but no shaving cream. I talked him into getting some, but no price was talked about. What would be reasonable for this stuff. He said he could get it from his seller, in New York, this week. Thanks.

crackstar likes this.
  17. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

The one time I tried Godrej Menthol Mist, I paid $6.50 for a tube from an ebay seller in India. One or two of the Indian grocers here stock regular Godrej shave cream and sell it for $3.99-$4.99

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good review!

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    good review. i'm going to have to google middle eastern groceries in my area.

20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Indian grocery stores often have Godrej shaving creams. I once got a tube of Menthol Mist and a tube of Lime for $4 each, a very good price for great creams. I am surprised more online wetshaving stores do not sell Godrej products.