New girl from Tennessee

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Eva_d, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy088::happy088:

Eva_d and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Although I don't shave my legs:), I can also vouch for the "Black Beauty" Gillette adjustable. While I prefer the "short handled" version, both perform very well. :happy088:

Eva_d and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use the long-handled Black Beauty & I love it.

GDCarrington, Eva_d and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Definitely think I need a longer handle and now I'm interested in an adjustable as well. I hate that these aren't in stores anymore... I'd love to be able to handle it before purchasing

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

True, it would be nice. Are there any stores in your area that might carry traitional shaving supplies? Or failing that, you may need to scour local antiqu shops.

Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  6. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I think I saw a brush in Walgreens but went in search of others bc I wanted to see the difference in them. However, I have not found another, and I've looked. We have wonderful antique stores here, I haven't thought much about that but I am now, thank you ! I'm not completely opposed to the Internet, that may be my best option for variety

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

In all honesty, if you want a good vintage razor the internet is probably your best option. I've come by all of my vintage razors that way and I only caught a cold once.

As others have said, make sure you get decent photographs of the item and a full description (i.e do your research and ask lots of questions).

I have a few Gillette adustables but my favourite is a 1974 Black Beauty.

As for brushes, I love the various Semogue Owners Clubs.

However, the softest brush I've ever used is this Semogue Special Edition 2013 Olive Wood.

[​IMG]

It was so soft and comfortable (but retained enough backbone for making a superb lather) that my Wife immediately stole it and has kept it for herself ever since...and she bought it for ME for Christmas!

Just my experience.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Welcome!

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet; If you are going t get a brush over the net, www.whippeddog.com has great stuff. Many of us (myself included) have bought from this seller. He is reliable & easy to deal with, and his brushes are inexpesive. Despite the low cost, they are high quality.

Eva_d, Tdmsu and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I totally agree with this post. Good seller. Larry is also very helpful should you have any question.

Eva_d and Sara-s like this.
  11. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I'm seriously on advice overlad lol.... I'm trying to check them all out

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Kick back....Relax....Enjoy every minute....take your time....I know it's a drag these vintage razors aren't in the local brick and mortar stores, but...thats the nature of the beast....The cool thing is, when you do score a beautiful Gillette Super Adjustable or Slim or Lady Eversharp...When you do find one in the 'Wild' at an antique store, or on-line for like $15, and you take it home and find out that it cleans up to look like new. Thats rewarding in it's self. Then you have this beautiful little machine that will last many lifetimes. You can use it as a future family heirloom. And if you love it, you're set...Samething with brushes...

Of course many here get bitten by the excitment of the hunt and continue to build collections, but if you are happy with your 'catch'..You're set...Then you find the right blade and have fun with scented soaps and creams...and the reward from your catch becomes the fantastic shaves and quality time you have getting them....

Eva_d, GDCarrington and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

:signs097::signs097:
    I'm so happy that you guys have told me about how well the old razors clean up. Since I want to use the razor that I have for a month before I try something different, this gives me some time to stalk my local antique shops. Thanks for that advice