This weekend at one of the local Wal-Mart Stores ...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GDCarrington, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is a good thing ...

Show Spoiler
    Wal-Mart.jpg

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

It is a start.

3. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

It's just funny that 12 MTO blades are 7.88. In reality they're Dorco ST-300s and therefore around $8 for 100.

4. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

That's about what our Walmart looks like. I have noticed that Walmarts pre/post shave product selection is better than most other stores in my area. They all have basically the same VDH selection with a couple variations in brand selection.

Definitely nice to see.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Nice!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Same in my area. I got my VDH kit at Wal-Mart. Also local Target sells VDH DE razor.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

5 years ago you saw no traditional shaving products in Wal-Mart with maybe the exception of a Styptic pencil so this is a small start.

RaZorBurn123 and BigMark like this.
  8. GeneralKinetics

True that. Just wondering, are the VDH blade packs at Target Merkur blades? They say Made in Germany on the back.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Maybe, or maybe Wilkinson (Energizer - Schick) which are also made in Germany. Most likely though a house brand made by Merkur.

Gillette holds the Wilkinson name in India and SE Asia so that is why I differentiated.

BigMark likes this.
  10. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if I could just find some Bay Rum locally. It's a good start though hopefully the awareness helps bring better products to the shelves.

11. GeneralKinetics

Man, if they're the Wilkinsons from the black plastic dispenser pack then they're way over priced. $3.99 for 5 Merkurs is nooottt badd.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Ty to find a store with a large Latin market. I have never tried it but my local Shoprite sells Superior 70.

txskimo and GDCarrington like this.
  13. rzedan

rzedan New Member

Hi. I thought they were ST-301. These are apparently the good ones. Not sure if the MTO use the 300s (?)

14. Mustache

I know this question has come up before... Here's the blade packs that came with my MTO. (For those that haven't bought one) ST-300.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me and GDCarrington like this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What does the wrapper on the Micro Touch blades say or the back of the pack?

16. rzedan

rzedan New Member

Thanks for the reference. That is super helpful. I remember the 301 have a red packaging I believe.

17. Mustache

Its the same pack. That's just a cardboard piece to advertise who MTO. Slide it out and its the dorco pack of blades.

GDCarrington and rzedan like this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

So these more than likely are the same blades as those that are being sold now by Dollar General.

19. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

The VDH blades are made by Feintechnik, which also makes Croma, Bolzano and others. Interestingly, Harry's contracted with them to make their cartridges, and eventually bought out Feintechnik entirely, so Harry's is actually in the business of making DE blades these days (albeit via a subsidiary).

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Every Walmart should look the same, major retailers want you to be able to walk into one of their stores out of your area and find what you are looking for without a hassle.

GDCarrington likes this.