Best way to hold Feather Artist Club Non-folding on neck

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Drygulch, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So I got an awesome shave with my Feather Artist Club SS today. I know its a Shavette, not a straight, but I need some advice. I have a strip of hair on my neck that is about an inch wide that runs from just under my Adam's apple to under my ear. The grain on this points up to my ears. I have no problem doing a N/S, S/N or E/W, W/E shave on this part of my neck. What I can't figure out is how to do an ATG pass. The problem I am having is how to hold the razor, get the angle I need, and be able to see that part of my neck. Any suggestions?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Do you "need" to do an ATG pass on your neck?

My moment of clarity on this is when I gave up on ATG for the neck. My neck hair also goes sideways in two directions.

I now do a two pass on my face, one WTG and one ATG, then just do to XTG passes on the neck in opposite directions.I get a great, easy BBS on the face and DFS on the neck with no irritation.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Need, no. Want, yes. This is the part of my shave that determines if its a good shave or a great one. After almost a year, I have gotten where I can almost always get this with a DE. It won't be smooth with any pass but ATG, even multiple passes of XTG.

I want to figure out how to do this with the Feather AC, I just can't figure out how to bend my arms to get there. On the left side of my neck, holding with the right hand, if i hold the handle up, I can't reach what needs to be shaved. Holding the handle down, I can't seem to turn the blade correctly. The left arm won't fold back that far with the handle up, and is very awkward with the handle down.

4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I hear you. I get that way when I get my mind on something. I will be watching too, as a FAC razor is going to be on my purchase list next month.

You have the straight handle, correct? Do you think it is something that getting the Feather with a traditional folding handle would help with? I am leaning that way due to eventually wanting a real straight razor...

Maybe grab a cheapie EBAY folding shavette and try some grip work with it?????

Drygulch likes this.
  5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have a similar patter on my left side.

I reach across my chest with my right arm, and stretch my left side neck down so it moves the patch from the soft area under my jaw, down onto my neck about even with my adams apple. Then holding the str8 in my left hand I do a scything stroke. Since I can move my left arm against the growth pattern, I keep my left hand and arm still and move just the razor in a windshield wiper motion.

Stretch + scythe = BBS

FWIW... the scythe is a game changer. I am a bit of a gym-rat and muscle mass in my torso does hamper shaving strokes somewhat. The scything stroke is an equalizer of sorts.

Drygulch and CyanideMetal like this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yeah, the reason I can't get it lined up is the handle hits either my face or my shoulder. Think I am going to go another month with this razor, but will probably continue to do the touch ups with a DE.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Going to google this, and see if I can find a video. That sounds like it might work, if the handle isn't in the way.