Feather Blade Packaging

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Virodoc, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Virodoc

Virodoc New Member

I am new to safety razor shaving, and therefore don't have much experience with the blades either (have only tried Derby and Feather blades so far). When I opened the wrapper on the Derby blades, there was a small spot of adhesive to hold the wrapper in place. With the 3 Feather blades I have opened, there seems to be a lot of adhesive, to the point where the blade (and sometimes the edge) is all gummy, and it gets my razor all gummy as well. Is this normal for there to be this much adhesive? Should I be cleaning the blades after opening but before use? Should I be complaining to Feather?
    Thanks for your help!
    Chris

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

3. Virodoc

Virodoc New Member

Thank you very much for your help!

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    These glue spots irritate me too that's why I have added the Personna Med Prep to my arsenal. NO GLUE and a, forgive the pun, razor sharp blade. :lyrtuy5:

Virodoc likes this.
  5. Virodoc

Virodoc New Member

Good to know, thank you!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My prime blade us Astra SP. They have glue spots. They don't interfere with my shave at all so I ignore 'em.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

The glue spots aren't bad. I like them actually, because it makes it impossible for the blade to slip out of the wrapper and randomly cut me. Yes, it's a hassle, but I'm probably the only one who likes it.

Virodoc likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't let it bother me, if it does bother you, there are plenty of blades that don't have the glue dots. Personna Lab blue are fantastic IMO.

David Green and Virodoc like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

I also use Feather blades (my favorite blade) and had questions similar to yours about the glue spots. The bottom line for me is that it doesn't interfere with my shave. I take a new blade from the wrapper, drop it in the razor, use it for two days, and then toss it. I give my razor a good cleaning between blades, and I never notice any glue accumulation.

I suppose you could clean the glue from the blades; however, the extra handling of the blade creates more opportunities to accidentally cut yourself. Ain't worth it, in my opinion.

Virodoc likes this.
  10. Virodoc

Virodoc New Member

Thank you very much for your help everyone!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They never bothered me.

Douglas Carey and Virodoc like this.
  12. Alan H

Alan H Member

Thanks for the question! I have been wet shaving for a little over 2 years now and always wondered about those glue spots. Now I know!

13. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

From what i can tell, Feathers use wax for their wrapping to sit tight on the blade. That wax is melting pretty easy in warm or hot water.
    Personally did not had problems with it on my blades, but i noticed the wax existing when i was putting a new blade, not on the edges though, but it is dissolved when i throw the blade away.

ObiDon likes this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

You are correct on the Feathers, it is wax. And it us used to keep the edge of the blade away from the wrapper, as that could dull the edge in transport. And welcome to the Den!:eatdrink047:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs046: To the Den. :signs046: