First DE razor recommendation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tm98, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that your using that canned soap and not properly wetting your beard before you shave, Hydrating your beard before applying lather is a must. The merkur 34c or the EJ DE 89 are very good razors to start with, also get a sample pack of blade, vitiate from Feather (the sharpest) to Derby (considered least aggressive or dullest).
    A nice Omega Boar Brush, a puck of Soap (Van Der Hagen a good start) for a shave mug, any wide soup mug or salsa bowl will do.
    As for the razor blades again my favorites are the Astra SP or Personna Reds (Israel) These are fairly sharp and easy on sensitive skin, Preparation and hydrating your beard is important to get a close shave and that canned stuff in my opinion just don't make it (unless you have a leather face)
    i have one of those Fusion razors, gave it 2 try's and gave it to my wife, she tried it, went back to her (or my old) Gillette Tech, it sits in a draw some ware.
    Have great shaves, Denis

2. Alan H

Alan H Member

I also vote for any of the Edwin Jagger with the 89 head. It was my first love.

3. Tm98

Tm98 New Member

Denis, when I shave 99% of the time it's after I get out of the shower. But yes I have been using the canned shave gels. I've tried different kinds and never really noticed one being better than the other. So maybe that is some of the problem.
    I am looking to try different or better types of cream/soap for shaving. I am trying to research to see what to try.

Seems like the Edwin Jagger is getting good recommendations.

4. allicedout

allicedout Member

EJ DE89 as my first...... Love it!

5. Tm98

Tm98 New Member

With the EJ DE89 what is the meaning of the lined one? Is it lined with something or is the handle just have lines on it?

6. Tallships

Lines or ribbed

7. Tallships

I like the EJ DE89 Extra Grip, not slippery in the fingers. But it is a mild razor and needs a good match for a blade. It's about equal to a Gillette adjustable @4
    My preferred razors are the Weber Polished Head, Gillette Fat Boy, Slim and Black Beauty all @6-7 with Astra SP or Personna Reds
    Even after my shower, I still wet my beard before lathering and I leave the lather on while I brush my dentures and comb a few hairs.
    That soap in a can? my wife won't even use it, she likes my Cella croap, seems like her leg shaving supplies come from my cabinet;)

8. Tm98

Tm98 New Member

Yeah that's all I really knew to use. So I'm looking for something better for shaving.

9. Tallships

From what I've read , the Parkers are not bad shavers they are more aggressive the EJ DE89 , The 98R has gotten good reviews except that some said that the finishes can be a bit flawed. I personally am saving up for the Above the Tie, Kronos H1, or maybe get one of my old Gillette's refinished

10. Alan H

Alan H Member

Has anyone tried the Feather razor?

11. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Which feather? AS-D2 or popular? I have the AS-D2 and I really like it. It's mild but I get as close of a shave with it as I do with my Merkur or Weber

12. Alan H

Alan H Member

AS-D2

13. ugadawg

I really like my Feather. My only complaint is the handle. I prefer a bulldog style handle and the Feather handle is long and skinny. I think it's a good choice if you like mild razors. Another option would be Above The Tie. ATT makes 2 mile plates (OC & SB), but I haven't used one so I can't say if it's better or worse than the Feather. They do have a 30 day guarantee though, so it would probably be worth trying before getting a Feather.

14. Tallships

15. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I've shaved with a Fusion for over 5 years now. Daily. I made the switch to the DE87, which is the DE89 with a smooth white handle. I chose the white handle to go with the rest of the bathroom fixtures :p. I have to say, the DE87 is a joy to shave with. I've used it now for 3 weeks straight, using a Derby blade pack and an Astra blade pack. I usually do a 2 pass shave (WTG and XTG), but will do a 3 pass shave (add ATG) twice a week. No nicks and no irritations so far. I highly recommend it.

I don't have any experience with the Merkur so I can't comment on which is better, but I can say I am loving the Edwin Jagger.

16. Alan H

Alan H Member

I love my Feather but have never used the handle it came with. I have used a wood handle that I got on the bay then I got the one in the picture and use that one exclusively now. Love the combination. It is a mild razor and find that I have to get the angle just right to be most effective.

effective. Feather_Brush.jpg

Tm98 and clint64 like this.
  17. ugadawg

I like the look of that handle. How's the grip?

18. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

The best thing you will ever do for your skin is giving up the cartridge razors. They are garbage.

I went from shaving once a week to where now i can shave 4-5 times a week.

19. Alan H

Alan H Member

I like the size/grip and never had a problem with slipping as some have experienced with other razors. It is larger and thicker than your typical handle. The size just feel better in my hand. I have been using one of Mantics tips and run my fingers on an alum block which eliminates any possibility of slipping. I got it from Elite Razor from his website. He is also on the bay. He makes handmade brushes, razors/handles and pens. http://www.eliterazor.com/product-category/razors/custom-pieces/

20. tom1966

tom1966 New Member

I wish i could truly offer imput. My first 2 razors were a PIF from a fabulous gentleman a New York....a Gillete Flair tip and a fat handle tech....both are great