Thiers-Issard

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

When buying a L'Essor razor for about $20 - I ended up getting this "Thiers-Issard" straight razor thrown in for free as well as they came as a lot.

I'll be the first to admit I know hardly anything about straight razors and the brands.
    I browsed "Thiers-Issard" (which according to the seller is both on the box and razor) but couldn't find one that looked just like that one.

I was hoping that maybe @HolyRollah , @gssixgun or anyone else that is more well versed in the topic can tell me if I ended up getting a good razor that might end up being usable - and maybe, roughly. how old it is.

I know the photos are not the best but it'll be a couple of weeks until I get them.

The blade looks a bit odd to me - like it's wider at the front of the razor and less wide when it gets close to the..uh...'tang'?
    Maybe that's a design or maybe the blade is honed/stropped to the point it's not really usable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grateful for any info as I have none :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You ended up with an Excellent razor, what is the number on the tang ????

TI made these around the 1900-1910 era they are a Frameback design and have superior steel, looks like that one is in great shape too..

Clean it, Hone it/Have it honed and enjoy the shaves :)

Yes that slanted height is the way it was made, it was quite popular for many years and in fact some of the new production TI are slanted from 6/8 - 7/8, some people (me included) believe that gentle smile and slanted edge helps to achieve a scything stroke while shaving

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

You got a slant and didn't even know it! Great looking razors. You'll be able to open up your museum soon.

GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I can't tell the number on the tang as the pictures are a bit blurry but I'll let you know when it arrives.

Great to hear that it might be both a good razor AND one that can be put to use! Thanks!

GDCarrington and gssixgun like this.
  5. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

SCORE!!!:bounce017::bounce015::happy036::happy108::shocked003::signs021::rah:

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'll post some clearer photos when I get it - who knows, maybe there's a huge crack or something in the blade and that the photos were blurry on purpose ;)

7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

We'll hope not. I don't see anything that looks suspicious, blurry though it be. Don't worry, we'll stay tuned to this frequency!

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

TI are one of those brands I'm always in the market for—but at the right price. So far, I've not been very fortunate in locating one.
    Nice score, by the way—that's a nicely-shaped razor! :happy088:

GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

TI really hold their value out of my reach your a very lucky man! congratulations.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Made in France I think,
    and they have been for a long, long time now.
    Excellent quality, and I've been told most are excellent shavers.

Watch.

Pretty interesting.

Best wishes!

ARGH and Darkbulb like this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I sold my only vintage TI. Kick myself regularly for it. I have 4 new production that shave very well.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well done!

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok you guys have made me go from;

"Hey, look, I got a cool looking straight razor for $5 or so. Would be fun it would work but not really important"

to

"Omg, can't wait to check this thing out!"

LOL

jakie55 likes this.
  14. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

My T.I is one of my fave razors, very nice frameback by the way, I am very jealous! !!

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Don't be jealous yet...it might have some serious defects when it arrives. Really hard to tell with those photos :)

16. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I must have honed at least 20 new TI's in the last 3 weeks including a 1000 dollar Damascus model also a few Dreadnoughts 7/8 in Rams horn very nice.

gssixgun likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yeah, photos on ebay can be misleading sometimes....;):D
    blurry.jpg

gssixgun and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, are those actual pre- and post purchase photos?

Oh, nevermind :D

Drygulch likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If I say, 'yes!' I'd be causing you undo anxiety! :D
    It's not real, but I have to say, the impression is the same when one finally gets a long-awaited razor only to find numerous flaws that were not disclosed either intentionally or by simply poor photography.

gssixgun and Darkbulb like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok, the Thiers-Issard made it here in record speed from France so I snapped some (read: a lot) of photos as you can see below.

The case says "69" but the razor itself says "17" so I'm guessing it's not the original case.

Does the "17" on the razor help in dating it more accurately?

To my untrained eye it looks like it's in good shape (there are no cracks or any chips in the scales and no, as far as I can see issues with the blade) - but I would love to hear from people more SR-savvy than I am.

Hone and use - or shelf-piece?

The case:
    [​IMG]

Front side:
    [​IMG]

Back side:
    [​IMG]

Close-up of markings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front of the razor shows, I believe, that it's a "true" frameback?
    [​IMG]

The end of the scales have a white 'insert';
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb and bdalemauger like this.