Pecksniff's Fougere shave "cream"

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Cowtown, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Good evening chaps. It has been a long time since I posted over here on the Den. I hope that all of you are doing well.

I just ordered up a jar of the Pecksniff's Fougere shave cream and wondered if anyone here would hazard an opinion? This one is a bit of an unknown. I have found a smidgen of reviews on SMF and B&B but there is not a lot of information from those who have used this product regularly. I found it interesting for a few reasons. First up, I needed a fougere scented shave lather for the rotation. I have nothing similar. Second, and maybe more intriguing, is that from all accounts, this product is not a cream per se but more of a super dense soft soap like Proraso or Valobra. In other words, you would load it up like a hard soap from the container itself rather than scooping some out to a lather bowl. I have lately started lathering my Castle Forbes lavender cream this way because of its density and danged if it doesn't load quite nicely this way and I am using less product for equivalent lather to boot! And third, some posters have mentioned that the lather itself is sort of a hybrid between a soft cream and hard soap. We shall see.

Regards, Todd

2. Austin

Austin Member

Where did you find this gem?

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Here for one place. Regular price $40, while supplies last $29.97.

4. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

One left HERE for $24.00

5. Austin

Austin Member

Thanks for the info gents!

6. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Hi Andrew. Chris' link is where I got mine. It arrived yesterday though I had to pick it up today since I missed the post yesterday. Packaging is nice, the scent is quite noticeable though I have yet to make up my mind whether it is a true fougere. Initial reaction is yes but it is not the same as English or Wild Fern. This soap is quite hard. I thought it may be like Proraso, a semi-soft soap but no, it is nearly as dense as a milled soap though it is obvious it is poured into the container. I will post up some initial thoughts after tomorrow's shave.

Regards, Todd

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I had one of those a year ago and I was the one doing the review over at B&B. Looking back on it I shouldn't have given it away. I was still a newbie back then and the skin-burning-properties I attributed to it didn't come from that particular soap as I found out afterwards. Ah well, maybe, some day, I'll get one again.

8. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Too bad , Klaus I almost pulled the trigger on it but decided to go for T&H 1805 instead that one was higher on my list.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

one of my customers uses that stuff, and he loves it. He won't even think of trying anything else.

10. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Good morning chaps. I used the Fougere this morning and must report that initial impressions were VERY good. I will not post a true review till after 3-5 uses.

The scent actually calmed down after lathering which I thought was a bit odd as lathering most soaps really opens up the scent. I quite like it. It lathered easily with a nice glide for the razor. After shave comfort was quite good. In fact, if it holds up, this lather will be one of the best at leaving your visage smooth and irritation free. Still, initial reactions are sometimes quite suspect and I will not get into too much detail until after proper trial. Oh btw, the ingredients list is quite long and contain such things as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium laurel sulphate. So for those who don't like those detergents, I would suggest that you look over the ingredients list thoroughly before ordering. I will include it with a review.

Regards, Todd

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks for pointing that out, Todd, you've just saved me some money :happy102:eatdrink047

12. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

what are you trying to do to my Wallet Boubi ! :eek::eek:

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Boubi, ich an deiner Statt, ich wurde lieber warten. Diese Creme ist sehr teuer, und vielleicht nicht zu preisgunstig. Ich mochte dich nicht dazu zwingen! Immer, beachte meine Worte!

14. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Good evening gents. I thought I would report back with my take on the Pecksniff's Fougere shave cream. I used it four times this week and have to say, I am more than impressed with the results. I shall do this review in a paragraph format with a heading for each.

Latherability: 9/Very good+. This shave "cream" is really a hard soap. There is no other way to describe it. It is much denser and harder than something like Proraso soap. I used three different kinds of brushes to include a Savile Row 3824, Vulfix 2236s, and B&B Finest. All gave good/great results with the first being the standout performer. I have found very little this brush won't make great lather with and the Pecksniff's was no exception. The cream literally flew into the brush and it even lathered easily with the floppy Vulfix.

Lather stability: 8. This makes a lather that is somewhat unique. It is thinner than a traditional English cream but is VERY creamy. It does not hold up to the third or fourth pass as well as Tabac or D.R. Harris soaps but not much else does either. Quite decent.

Scent: 7. A bit low you think? Not really. This is more modern type scent that does not appeal to me as much as more traditional scents but that is not any negative really. One thing I like is that the somewhat strong jar scent moderated nicely upon lathering.

Moisturising: 10. Yep, a ten. This soap left my face feeling like glass with no irritation and no real need for an A/S splash or moisturiser. An excellent rating is warranted here I think.

Efficacy: 8/9. This will really come down to whether the fragrance oils of the scent or the detergent base does or does not agree with your skin. It gets along famously with mine so I go to the 9 side of the rating.

Price: 5/9. Say what? Yeah, my rating is odd I know. The 5 would apply to the normal, near $40 dollar price. I think there are better products at that price point. It is a 9 at the $24 I paid. Just my honest thoughts.

Final thoughts. Even though this is a standout product for its shave qualities, it will not go on the favourites list for me. That is just a function of the scent component. I really like it but it does not affect me strongly like great lavenders or the like do. Make no mistake. This is a superb shave lather and well worth trying. Just be aware that it is scented with a more modern twist on a fougere and it has that detergent base. I will not let that stop me because the aftershave feel was so incredible. If you can find this on sale it is worth a try.

Regards, Todd

15. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Nice review Todd. I had similar results; I did not however have a problem with the lather stability. Maybe it's in the water? Shop Londons now have these soaps? on sale for < $20.00. I was thinking about trying the Fresh Citrus. Their Pecksniff's ASB's are 50% off as well.

16. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Thank you Chris. I don't know, for under twenty dollars, that citrus may be worth a try!

Regards, Todd