First DE razor recommendation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tm98, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Have you used any modern razors? I only have modern razors, but I've been thinking about adding a vintage. I'm not really sure if it would give me a better shave or not though.

2. Tm98

Tm98 New Member

If your talking about me then no I have not used a DE modern or vintage razor. I am looking to try them though.

3. Alan H

Alan H Member

I have several vintage (Fatboys, slims, ball end, etc) guys raved about them but I haven't found any to be better than my EJ DE 89 which was my first. For the price, you can't go wrong with the EJ, in the low to mid $30's wherever you look. Not aggressive and not too mild.

4. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

An honest recommendation whereas you're just starting; check out Wet Shave Club and maybe grab a starter box. You'll get everything you need to get started for $25, and you can choose which of their razors you want them to send. They have a white handled and black handled that are exactly the same as an EJ DE89, but with the WSC logo on the head. Very nice razor though, I love mine. And I actually just got my brother a box for his birthday, and he loved it too. =)

Hope I've been of ome help.

5. Tm98

Tm98 New Member

I'll have to look into the Wet Shave Club. Thanks!

6. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

I'm new to wet shaving and I too have been looking at wet shave club and wondering if you have goings and if so how do you like them?

7. exexpat93

exexpat93 Member

My suggestion would be to choose a DE with the same external dimensions as what ever is your current favourite. You like long or short handle? Outside of any brand where people have complained a lot about defects... EJ, Merkur, Muhle, Parker, and many others are all good. In the reviews checkout if it says aggressive or mild. You might want mild if you are not sure, it is more forgiving. Don't go too cheap or too expensive. Shoot mid range for price. Junk might turn you off, too expensive and you don't like it you are going to take a bigger loss.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Sorry for the long delay in response, been gone for a while. I really like Wet Shave Club. A lot of people have said you dont get enough for the money; but the true idea behind it is to be introduced to artisans and products you would maybe never learn about otherwise. And even to just buy a starter box is well worth it. The razor alone is worth more than $25. And actually, if you or anyone else decides to try them out, let me know. They send out coupons sometimes to current customers to give to friends for money off on their first box. I really dont know anyone personally who wet shaves, so I never use them, may as well let someone benefit from them. =)

Also, they have been working on improving the box values lately and doing a pretty good job of it.

9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

The Merkur 34C was my second razor. I have some others but it's still my favourite and my go-to 95% of the time. Gives a smooth, comfortable shave. Many great recommendations here though I'm sure.

10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Probably one of the most beautiful razors out there. The chrome is a work of art. I don't find the smooth handle slippery at all.

11. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

IMHO, you will not go wrong with a Merkur