SoS: March 30, 2015 - April 5, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Thanks my friend. Lot's of things have kept me busy lately. My mother passed away Sunday before last. She wasn't with us for some time, alzheimers.

PatrickA51, grump, ram57 and 6 others like this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wednesday's shaving plans:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Sharp day 3
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Gold Bond Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Givenchy Gentleman EdT

I'm repeating today's set-up with a differently-scented Glacial soap. The Lemon Chill has such an awesome scent to it - a perfect balance of fresh, tangy lemon and intense menthol. The lather is so easy to build as well as rich and slick, and as with all the Glacials the menthol effect kicks in right away and freezes the face with a passion. The Gold Bond together with the Penguin are enough to make you want to wear a fur coat afterwards. My Sharp blade is so far holding its own great so let's see if it could give me the same results all week. ;) :D

3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I am sorry to hear that and my sincerest condolences!

grump, ram57, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Most sincere condolences.

grump, clint64, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

grump, ram57, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Ken I'm very sorry for your family's loss.
    May the Lord wrap you and your family in his loving kindness in your time of bereavement.

7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Thank you!

Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and crackstar like this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

9. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Prep - Shower / Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam towel
    Razor - Gillette Fatboy @7
    Blade - Perma-Sharp Super (#5)
    Brush - Omega 20106
    Soap - Tabac
    After - Frozen towel / Alum & WH mix
    Result - BBS

Love love love Tabac! Almost as much as the Perma-Sharps in a Fatboy!

NewellVW, figment714, moz68 and 20 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod150401.JPG
    Wednesday's
    ZCOLDWATER1.jpg

Dove Men Face Wash
    TOBS Lavender
    Jayaruh WC4 HMB (first shave)
    Gillette Fatboy F2
    Sputnik Stainless (first shave)
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Pinaud Vegetal

My Dad would have been 101 today if he were still with us. This shave is dedicated to his memory. It is the beginning of my Adjustable Month. I have three and each will get 10 days to shine.

The TOBS Lavender Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh WC4 HMB Brush. Two passes with my Gillette Fatboy razor and a Sputnik Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Lemon WH and then Pinaud Vegetal after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

PS The Sputnik Stainless blade was superb. I was amazed at how smooth it was, and it got almost everyting on one pass.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I am so sorry. Prayers for comfort.

clint64, Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Jim, I see you finished your brush. It is a beauty. Nice work!

grump, clint64, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  13. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

Tuesday Evening Shave

Decided to test out a new blade and am I ever glad I did! Got a few small nicks, but the blade and shave cream combo gave me a very nice DFS! Will use this blade again in the future.

Prep: Hot shower, hair conditioner
    Brush: Omega 13109 Pure Badger
    Razor: Merkur 34C
    Blade: Treet
    Cream: The Body Shop Maca Root :love055:
    Post: Cold rinse, Alum block, Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Cheers!

[​IMG]

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ken, my sincerest condolences on your loss. G d Bless you!

clint64, Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

March 31

Stirling Sheep soap
    Merkur 37C slant bar razor
    Feather blade (day 2)
    Kent BK8 silvertip badger brush
    Arko shave soap
    Two passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, & Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

I had a really nice and relaxing shave today, and I hope you all did as well.

During March, I shaved with one of my favorite razors, a Merkur 37C slant bar. My goal was to optimize my shaves with the 37C, while varying the choice of brush and soap or cream. I began the month using a boar brush with a DE razor for the first time - an Ever-Ready C40. I switched it up with a newly-acquired Omega 10098 Professional boar brush and then worked in my Kent BK8 silvertip brush every now and then. I used Stirling Naked and Smooth soap, D.R. Harris Almond cream, MdC scented soap, and Arko soap.

I learned:

A daily two-pass shave suits my face better three passes. I can manage a three-pass shave once or twice a week without irritation or bumps.

The 37C paired with a Feather blade, good prep, and a light touch is so efficient that I can routinely get near-BBS shaves in two passes. It's not the best-quality razor in my rotation, and I constantly have to fiddle with the blade alignment. But, all in all, the 37C was a great $45 investment. I like it so much that I have a backup.

Not all boar brushes are created equal. Both of mine certainly get the job done. However, the Ever-Ready is scratchy, while the Omega was nearly broken in right out of the box. At $15, the Omega brush represents one of the best values in wet shaving. In addition, the ergonomics of the long handle on the Omega makes it very easy to use. Since I like to enjoy my shaves, the Ever-Ready will decorate my shelf until I decide whether I want to replace the knot with something better.

I learned what a funky brush really smells like when I wet my Omega brush the first time. I also learned that three or four good lathers in between soaks in Dawn dishwashing liquid removes most of the odor.

I've heard that boar brushes are good for soaps and badger brushes are good for creams. However, I can interchange my boar and silvertip brushes with soaps and creams and get a good shave with any combination using the 37C. For me, it comes down to good prep, having a light touch, and limiting the number of passes.

I learned how to make a great lather with Stirling soap, thanks to the helpful advice from my friends here on TSD. Hands down, Stirling Soap performs better for me than any cream or soap I have ever used.

This was my first experience with both MdC and Arko. As we all know, these two soaps receive a lot of comments from wet shavers. The marked difference in unit cost between the two soaps is significant. Both soaps have different characteristics, and each is highly regarded as a great soap. At the same time, each soap receives its fair share of criticism. My curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to try both soaps. Wet shaving is not my most serious endeavor in life, so I hope to have some fun in the process. They will be my focus during Arko April and MdC May using the same basic hardware. My initial experience is that both soaps yield great results. If soap performance was the only consideration, Arko initially wins hands down. As we all know, other factors come into play, or we'd all have only one soap or cream. I reserve my final thoughts on these two soaps until the end of May. And let me say it first...YMMV.

I want to especially thank Chris ( aka @
    Bama Samurai ) for hosting these 30-day adventures and making it so much fun for everyone. I continue to be amazed and humbled by the friendly and supportive atmosphere here. I've learned a great deal by following everyone's progress during March. You all continue to teach me about wet shaving, and more importantly, about how to treat others with respect. This is a great place because you all make it so, and I'm honored to be part of this fine community.

I'll see you all over in the
    April Focus.

SOTD_033115.jpg

16. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Ken. Take care and may you find peace and acceptance.

Jayaruh, grump, ram57 and 5 others like this.
  17. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Jayaruh, ram57, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm sorry for your loss.

Jayaruh, grump, Tdmsu and 5 others like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. I think I have awakened another AD...

grump, ram57, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  20. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 3-31-15 For this shave the two items used that are from the National Box Tour are the Arko Moist cream and again with the Tweezerman brush!

Razor: ATT R2 w/Atlas handle (2nd time with R2, 1st time with Atlas)
    Blade: Ladas (New)
    Soap: Arko Moist (1st time using)
    Bowl: Steel
    Brush: Tweezerman (no idea if boar or badger. 2nd use)

Preshave was just face wash with warm water and post shave was rinse with warm water then some cold water splashes and pat dry!

Shave was easily a DFS with no nicks/weepers or irritation. Second time with the ATT R2 plate and 1st time with the Ladas and the Atlas handle. I think the handle may be a little too short for my liking but I will give it some more time before I decide for sure!

This is the first time I trying this cream and of coarse being cream it lathered real easy in the bowl and gave me a good slick, protective lather. I will say it didnt seem to leave my skin as smooth as the RR soap I used yesterday but still feels very good! My usual disclaimer is that I am no expert for sure but it seemed to work just fine for me and I would use it again!

Regarding the Ladas. This is first time trying this blade and I think it is a fine blade. It really didnt seem much difference in it compared to the Voskhod except it might be sharper as I didnt have any touch up to do after my third pass like I normally do but I do have to mention that yesterdays Voskhod shaved a two day growth and todays Ladas was only a one day growth! Just to be fair here but I do think it is a good blade, at least my first impressions are positive!

I have quite a few choices of blades and soaps so I will continue to work thru them.

Thx. and feel free to post any comments on the gear used today!

SOTD_033115.jpg

NewellVW, figment714, moz68 and 24 others like this.