SoS: March 30, 2015 - April 5, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Mar 29, 2015.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I was told buy a guy at an AOS store that they were pieces of junk, he was trying to sell me something different. One that was more expensive.

2. PatrickA51

Your Welcome.

3. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I couldnt resist any longer. I gave in.

After getting home, I decided to try my DE again and hope for better results. The results were better. I actually got most of my right cheek, sides of upper lip and some of my left cheek BBS. HOWEVER, I do still wonder if I shouldnt have bought the R-41 head instead. I had to make multiple passes against and across the grain, as in 10-15 stokes in a given small area that I was trying to shave. I looked at the razor head and noticed that I was getting a build up of the bristles on the razor's edge. I cleaned/rinsed it frequently but was a little taken by surprise at how much stubble/sandpaper was left on my face when the bristle residue kept building up on the edge like it was. Anyway, Im glad I got some smooth areas at least. Also, I love using the Barber Pole handle. I love the way it looks.

SS = TOBS sandalwood with Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS mixed in

Razor = R-89 with Iridium blade and Barber Pole handle from Elite Razor

Osage Rub, then lots of Aqua Velva, then some Clubman Pinaud.

4. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Everyone's MMV but, I wouldn't say they are pieces of junk. They do have their following and they deliver a close clean shave. It may not be everyone's cup of tea though as it's big and bulky, I personally don't particularly like the blade loading and removal on this razor and as I mentioned earlier, the handle is just too slippery for my liking. If you are a large person with a very heavy beard and have big hands and fingers to hold this large razor, it might be just the one for you. Personally, I am not a big fan however, that's just me.

5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

TGIF Planned SOTD

Razor: PILS 101NE
    Blade: Triton R3 (D1)
    Brush: Thäter Cocobola 2-band 24/55
    Bowl: Woodhead Medium Scuttle
    Pre-Shave Scrub: SPAtopia Dead Sea Scrub
    Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Jasmine Orange Vanilla
    Shave Soap: Ginger Garden Aqua Di Gio Tallow
    Aftershave: Alpa 378

[​IMG]

6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thursday evening, April 2, 2015

Schick E2 Injector with Schick blade (2),
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    lather-up with CRSW Fougere Moderne - shave,
    finish with cold water, Witch Hazel
    and Clubman Special Reserve for a CCS!

[​IMG]

7. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 4-2-15

Razor: ATT R2 w/Bamboo handle (3rd time with R2)
    Blade: Voskhod (2)
    Soap: RR Don Marco (1st time using)
    Bowl: VDH
    Brush: Tweezerman (no idea if boar or badger)

Preshave was just face wash with warm water and post shave was rinse with warm water then some cold water splashes and pat dry!

Shave was very good (DFS) but I did feel slight irritation in chin area and I did get a couple of weepers (from too much pressure and going to fast, I think) that didn't last long.

Third time with the ATT R2 plate and second Voskhod blade that I am trying. This time the Voskhod blade didnt feel all that sharp so when I did put some pressure in the rough areas that need extra passes/touch up I ended up with a couple of weepers but not too bad and a small spot of irritation so I am not happy with that.

This is the first time I trying this soap and just loaded the brush just fine and It lather pretty easy and gave me a good slick, protective lather. It also seems to leave my skin somewhat smooth so feels good! With this one though I could not really get a scent from it at all so I have no idea what it smells like. There isnt much in the container so maybe that is why I dont know. I am no expert for sure but it seemed to work just fine for me and I would use it again as it isn't strong scented anyway and lathered very good!

Regarding the Voskhod. This is second blade and second day with it and I dont know if it was me, the blade, or what but it didnt feel very sharp this time and might be part of the reason for my weepers and slight irritation!

Please feel free to leave comments on any items used as I enjoy reading them to see what others say about the gear I am using/trying out!

Thx.
    SOTD_040215.jpg

8. PatrickA51

I have big hands, but the guy that was working at the AOS store, was on commision. He was trying to sell me a Gillette Fusion Flex Ball Razor for $175.00, and they were selling the Chrome Merkur Futura for $90.00 at that time. I do know that I would never go back there, even if they were giving away stuff and giving you a brand new "Benjamin Franklin" as you walk in the door. And 2 with every shaving item they sold or you bought. (might have to think about that one.)

Jayaruh, ram57, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  9. PatrickA51

That is one beautiful brush. I like it, of course I like almost all of your home made brushes.:happy088:

Jayaruh, ram57, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  10. PatrickA51

TGIF Shave for Friday 03Apr15

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Tea Tree Bath Soap, Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face WashDeodorant: Mennen Speed Stick *Rinse and Wipe face Wet wash cloth soaked in Cold WaterRinse and Wipe face Wet wash cloth soaked in Cold Water
    Apply Pre-Shave Oil; Shave Secret
    Shaving Mug: VDH Luxury Mug
    Shaving Soap: VDH Deluxe Shave Soap
    Razor: ATT R-1 88mm Kronos Handle
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword DE Blade (4)
    Brush: "Old Corps"& "Oscar 11" Custom 28/65mm TGN Finest Badger F-2 Knot Resin Handle Brush
    Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails A/S

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard). Wilkinson Sword Classic DE Blade.(4)
    This is The Fourth Shave on this Blade.
    I will again be Face Lathering. I will use a Ice Cold Wet Wash Cloth on my face again as I have in the past week .I will again shave with Cold Water.
    This will be the 7th. Day of 30 Day Rule using, a ATT Razor R-1 Base Plate 88-mm. Kronos Handle

11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I hear ya! ;)

Bama Samurai, Jayaruh, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Guy, happy belated birthday! I hope you had a good one!

Bama Samurai, Jayaruh, ram57 and 5 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If I recall correctly you are still relatively new to DE shaving. Not sure how many shaves you are into mastering your technique. My advise would be to not focus so much on getting a BBS shave but focus on your technique instead. It takes time to master the angle of each razor to get the results you desire. Just stay with it and you'll be surprised when everything just clicks.

Take a look at this thread and join us for a 30 day focus that might help with the process.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/new-april-2015-30-day-rule-focus-pic-discussion-thread.44235/

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well it was April 1st you know. Someone played a joke on my photo!

15. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Barrister and Mann Leviathan
    Parker best badger
    2011 Muhle R41 (Personna blue)
    Coldwater/alum
    Wm Neumann Heartwood AS

Yet another superb shave courtesy of the R41. There is no denying that this razor, like it's 2013 cousin, is capable of delivering an extraordinary shave.

Happy Friday everyone!

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:greet002::poze:

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with dove+ care
    butterscotch whipped dog/ FS synthetic
    soap commander vision
    Schick krona
    Ladas(3)
    ICED Aqua Velva ice blue
    today's shave was nice. my FS is very soft. I'm curious how it compares to my pif'ed plisson. soap commander is top notch as usual. three passes with the krona, great shave. still lovin the Ladas. finished with ICED ice blue.
    hope y'all did as well, or better.
    20150403_070223.jpg

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great picture Patrick. Excellent write up also. :happy088::happy088:

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like your photo!:happy088:

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    Face & head shave
    April 3, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RRBS
    Blade: Sputnik
    Brush: Custom Antler/Boar by @grump
    Lather: Mike's Natural Hungarian Lavender
    Aftershave: 4711
    Excellent shave. I'm very honored to have won Phil's PIF, this Antler-Boar brush is wonderful. Mike's Natural always performs great.
    Go out and get it
    image.jpg