Fat or Slim? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Apr 1, 2015.

?

Fat or Slim?

1. Fatboy

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. Slim

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I prefer the fatboy over the slim, but also still think I liked the short handle black beauty the best of the vintage adjustables.

i still kick myself for letting that one go....

2. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I really like both of them, but the weight of the FB breaks the tie. Unfortunately or fortunately on how you look at it my FB is at razorplate for a replate. I cannot wait to get it back.

45auto likes this.
  3. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

It would be way to hard for me to choose! Cant vote on this one!

4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have a hard time putting my FB down, and always look for an excuse to bump it up in my vague rotation. It's a tank, and the adjuster works easier and seems more solid, than my Slim or BB. I do like the shorter handle as I hold the razor way out at the end and I can maneuver it better. Also the head on the FB has a larger dome, not much, but it helps get under my nose easier. You can't go wrong with any of the Gillette Adjustables, as I believe the are the best razor ever made.

IDuck likes this.
  5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I prefer the head geometry of the Fat Dude - the correct face angle is just more naturally assumed than with Slim, I believe.

ObiDon likes this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Fatboy....I like the short stout handle.....and the taller head....But that being said, the slim was Connery's razor and one of Bonds gadgets in Goldfinger....and after shaving with it Pussy Galore says, "You do like a close shave, don't you Mr. Bond"....Come on, thats kind of priceless on behalf of the Slim....and it is second only to the Fatboy by a tad...and the Fatboys are so expensive....

So I like the Fatboy a little better....But when you add all the other points together, and the price....makes a pretty good case for the Slim....

Recklesstr and Boojum1 like this.
  7. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    EXACTLY!
    This poll, though fun, doesn't capture all the choices!

That's OK, though... I refuse to buy a short handled Back Beauty just so I can pick The One Gillette adjustable. Besides... my tastes these days seem to be drifting away from TTOs in general. I'm not choosing it: it's choosing me! Not loving all my children the same makes me feel like I should have a den purge! :shocked003:

Recklesstr likes this.
  8. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

I have three slims and one fatboy. Although both of them give similar shave, I love the short and thick handle of the fatboy ,so I prefer fatboy over slim.

maltedmilk likes this.
  9. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

My absolute favourite Gillette adjustable is the Black Beauty - it's a little more aggressive than the slim, has much the same heft as the Fatboy, and the longer handle makes it a pleasure to use. Of the two cited my favourite is the Fatboy, because of the extra weight.

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

The thicker handle of the fatboy fits more naturally in my hand. But, I like the length of the slim handle. I use the slim regularly and get great shaves. I have been trying off and on for the last 2 years to get a great shave from the fatboy, but still have not succeeded.

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

52-48 % split right now (FB to Slim).
    Seems like people's preference when it comes to these two razors are very evenly divided.
    I actually thought the FB would have a landslide victory here considering the premium it fetches on eBay and how often it's referred to.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's about my split too. In all honesty, I perceive little difference between the two. To date, I've owned a dozen of each and have flipped them all. I'm more partial to the profits I make off of them than their shaves.

markjnewcomb and maltedmilk like this.
  13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I only have the slim, so I voted for the fatboy.... just kidding I voted for the slim hehe

markjnewcomb and maltedmilk like this.
  14. FrankD

FrankD New Member

George Harrison used to shave with a slim in the 60's so I'm told.

15. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

:signs011:

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I absolutely like my Fat Boy better than my Slim, hands down. I really don't like my Slim.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Such a chubby chaser

Herm2502 and mrchick like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very funny. I like my women thin and my razors fat...:happy102:

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm not even gonna ask about aggressiveness vs mild, vintage vs modern, etc :)

jakie55 and Herm2502 like this.
  20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

And I like my razors old........

Darkbulb likes this.