$30 Straight Razor Budget.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by RayC1993, Apr 3, 2015.

1. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

Hey guys new here. Looking to transition from a DE to a Straight but I only have a $30 dollar Budget and clueless as to what I should get. Any help would be appreciated.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

$30 is not much to start with, but I totally feel what you're saying. There are several components you need to have to get the full straight shaving experience. You probably already have the shaving soap accessories if you are already a DE shaver. In addition to that, you will need a decent razor that is in shave ready condition, a strop to maintain your edge, and something for refreshing the edge further when a strop is no longer effective (usually a set of sharpening hones). You don't need to worry too much about the third item at first, but without a strop, your straight shaving will go nowhere. Even used, razors themselves in shave ready condition usually cost more than $30. A strop will set you back at least another $25 or so. You might want to look at a disposable "shavette" type of razor holder to start with. That's what I did when I was trying to learn. One of those can be found for less than $10 easily and it just uses half of a DE for a blade in most cases. You don't have to strop those because the blade just gets tossed when it dulls.

Good luck to you!

Seabs and GDCarrington like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

$30 is a tough niche to fill as you're not likely to get a straight razor everyday at that price that is 'shave-ready.'
    Some vendors do offer 'restored' razors around that price point, such as Whipped Dog.com

I can hardily recommend TSD member Glen @gssixgun from GemstarCustoms.com who offers the following (quoted from the site):
    Vintage "D--- Fine Shaver" Series :
    DFS Razors are priced for the Straight Razor user looking for a solid shaver without spending a lot of money they are all fully restored with No Rust, No Patina and many have no Pitting... They have been cleaned polished and brought to a full shave ready condition before they head home to you.. We are keeping the prices on them between $39 and $109. Insured CONUS Shipping is about $7, International shipping (NO insurance) is slightly more (about $19)...We will continue to keep them supplied as long as we can...

Seabs and Boojum1 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The guys have covered it, so I'll just say HI.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

+1
    Hi.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I've never heard a complaint about one of Larry's "sight unseen" razors.
    Just keep in mind you are getting a used razor that is likely to have see some
    years, and some use. (but that doesn't mean it won't hone and shave properly)

http://whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-flawed-razor

Last time I looked he was pricing these @ $28.00

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software.

If you want to go with the $30 route Larry @whipped dog would be your best choice, but as Mr. Oldschool put it, there is more to invest than just the razor so be aware of this and budget accordingly.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

9. ACo

ACo New Member

you could go with a anthony esposito gold dollar brand new with strop $35....

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

11. swarden43

Don't hear too much good about Gold Dollar. Some, not much.

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to the Shave Den.

13. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den. I would have to agree that at that price point I would probably go with a shavette. You can get an entry level shavette with blades for around $20 from any barber supply shop. Last I checked Sally's Beauty supply has both.

14. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

RayC

I've got an old 5\8ths spike point going spare. It's a nice clean blade with plain yellow plastic scales. I dug it out yesterday to give it a spin and it shaved quite nicely.
    As I recall it didn't cost me much and you'd be more than welcome to it. I'd like to do a double PIF - you make a $20 donation to your favourite charity and I'll pay the postage to get the razor to you.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Welcome to the Den

Graham

Mr. Oldschool and gssixgun like this.
  15. swarden43

Nicely done. :happy088:

16. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Maybe consider a Shavette................

17. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Here's an option for you... I have a few Gold Dollars that I bought with the idea to practice honing. I used maybe one and still have a few that are new, unused. They need the shoulder modd'd.. before they can be honed, but I'll mod it and hone one up for you if you want it. They aren't the best when it comes to razors and the spine is likely to be ground like a horror show, but I can hone it to shave ready. I have a home-made strop you can have too. The rest is up to you.

If you want them, email me your address and give me a few days to get 'er done.

18. swarden43

Super.:signs107: