4/10 Review: That guy Jeeves

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Adonis, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love it when people send me new soaps to try. It’s exciting being in on the start of what could be the next shaving sensation! It’s humbling that they trust me to offer an unbiased opinion of their product. So of course I was happy to find two samples of Bryan P’s new soap!

I say samples but he actually sent two full pucks, which is nice, as it lets me evaluate the soap like i would normally use it.

First, the packaging. The pucks come wrapped in decorative paper, over a wax paper liner. Don’t know if this is how they will ship but I feel like the soap is pretty protected. The outer wrapping reminds me of those fancy bath soaps my grandmother used to buy back in the day. I like that. I think it fits the name well. Classy.

Upon opening the soap, my initial thoughts were that the scent is very faint. But don’t take that as a knock because I personally tend to like stronger scents. The cherry blossom has a nice light springy scent, if you’re into floral. I actually was thinking it would smell like cherries… Until I remembered the blossoms don’t smell like the fruit lol

I did my usual prep. Fiddled a few drops of hot water on the puck during it. I probably didn’t need to as it is a softer puck to begin with. Fit perfectly in my Old Spice mug. I had to evict Col. Conk to make room. Using a boar brush I proceeded to work the puck. Ok let me stop here for a second. Typically, in my experience, it takes a few seconds of brush work for actual lather to start forming on a puck. It was almost immediate! I was distracted for a second by Chico, and when I looked back down at the bowl, it was already full of pre-lather! So I added about a tablespoon of water and watched as it whipped into a thick, rich lather effortlessly.

The lather had staying power, which is typically my biggest gripe with new soaps. Great density, excellent cushion. My skin felt nicely protected. Decent sickness kept the blade moving smooth over my skin. And as I mentioned, the lather stayed strong to the end. Lasted 3 passes on the dome and 3 on the face. I hated to rinse it out of the bowl lol

I have to say I’m pretty impressed with this soap so far. Already it performs better than several established soaps I’ve used. I have nothing negative to say about this soap. If anything, I would like stronger scents, and would like to see it come in its own container for storage, but those are personal nit picks.

Overall: highly recommended!

Packaging – 3.5
    Performance – 5
    Scent – 4

Get more shave info at That Shave Life!

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

WP_20150320_002.jpg Great review! I received a puck of the bay rum scent in a PIF. I'm with you 100% on the strength of the scent. I too prefer a stronger presence, however, the soap's performance makes up for that. The owner is also a veteran so by supporting this business, you are also supporting a vet. I think I know what soap I'm using tonight:)

3. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Plus he seems to be a pretty nice guy in general. :)

4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I know this is an older Thread, but I thought this would be the best place to put it ;)

A friend sent me a sample of Jeeves of Hudson Street Eucalyptus & Spearmint a while ago.

[​IMG]

I had never heard of that company before, did not expect much but was very pleasantly surprised. I just love the scent, one of the best I have ever smelled. Something out of the ordinary, a little sweet, a little tangy, and not overwhelming (I prefer the lighter scented stuff).

The performance is top notch, up to par with the best soaps I own. Lathers easily (might just need an extra drop of water), the lather is slick and protective and the post-shave feel is equally nice.

I'd order a jar in a heartbeat, were it not for the extremely expensive shipping from the US to Germany that effectively doubles the price of any US Artisan soap for me.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It is a good soap. Thanks for the review. I just happened to use it on Saturday:)

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I've seen reviews and videos online about this soap and have been curious about it. I know his packaging has been updated and an updated formula is in the works or recently released.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mein Freund, leider sind die Kosten für Versand aus Nordamerika nach Europa oder umgekehrt lächerlich. Gerade eben kaufte ich zwei Seifen aus England. 65 Dollar CAD ist sehr teuer, oder? :angry032:

8. Marverel

Just today I saw that the company's website has been updated and moved to a different address. New packaging - and no shipping options other than US and Canada ...

9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

The title of this thread throws me off...

I'm guessing the guy is talking about the date? But when you are talking about a soap review and you lead with 4/10...people might think the score or rating is a 4 out of 10...??

And then his actual review doesn't provide a scale stating if a 5 is the highest marks?

Just sharing my thoughts...sorry

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Huh. Looks like I remember some High School German after all. Yeah, me. :D

Marverel and crackstar like this.
  11. crackstar

Ich wusste nie dass Du Deutsch verstehen kann! (I never knew that you can understand German!)

Marverel likes this.
  12. richgem

ich habe nur zwei Jahre in der Hochschule Deutsch gelernt. aber ich habe alles vergessen weil I learned it just to impress a girl.

crackstar and Marverel like this.
  13. Marverel

you're still doin' good. Ich verstehe Dich sehr gut :happy088:

Did it work? with the girl, I mean ;)

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

Das ist sehr gut - ich bin damit sehr beeindruckt! (That is very good - I'm very impressed with it!)

15. richgem

Viele Danke Alles. And, no it didn't work with the girl (her mother was East German). Her father (Armenian) wouldn't let me out of the "friend zone."