Thinking about Rotations and Options

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by TG_Charles, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

People commonly remark that a particular product or razor will have a place in their rotation. I believe that I’ve probably said the same sort of thing myself. Well, today while shaving, I was thinking (I know, very dangerous) and I realized that I had no real rotation, I had options. In my mind, a rotation would be where on a regular basis one used specific products (e.g. Monday is for Vulfix Sandalwood, Tuesday is Mama bear’s Attar Rose, Wednesday is DR. Harris Almond, etc…).

Options on the other hand are like random acts of choice. With myself, I simply walk into the bathroom, open the shave gear locker and pull out whatever fancies me at the moment. I may even use the same thing 5 days in a row (often true with my aftershave choice) or once a year. I’ll often choose a shave soap that has been overlooked for a while – it’s like getting reacquainted with an old friend.

Anyway, this is what was going through my mind while shaving this morning.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I don't bother with a rotation either. I just pick whatever I feel like using that day! Makes it more fun that way. :D

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Agreed. I mostly use JoAnna's soaps, whichever scent I feel in the mood for. Once in a while I'll reach for a D.R. Harris, GFT, Tabac or Kent/MWF soap - or sometimes a cream from one of the well-known British companies. I generally will do that when I'm bored with good shaves and feel up to a challenge. :)

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Good point: options is my route as well.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I like to leave my options open ;) as well.

6. AFG

AFG New Member

I don't have a regular rotation either. I use the same razor most days but use whatever soap/cream appeals to me as I run the water in the sink to heat my lather bowl. Same with a brush. I try not to neglect anything for too long but don't have a plan for what I will use. However, we're leaving on a two week vacation soon. With baggage restrictions, I'm going to have to be selective about what I can take. That may mean the same razor, brush and soap or cream for two solid weeks. Yikes!!

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I am all about the options. I pickout a nice razor and a blade before showering and than grab what ever fancies me when its time to lather up. I actually did some on face lathering today for the first time with a soap and absolutely loved it. I may do that for the next few days with all my different razors.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Variety........is the spice of life

dont tell Lovie I said that ;)

Half the fun is looking at all the goodies and setting up a line up for the day

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I don't have no strict rotation either, I just use what I'm in the mood for. There's one 'rule', though: I try to use my creams and soaps equally and not the same one for days in a row.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

we are talking shaving right????:D

Raf

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I rotate the equipment weekly, razor, blade, brush (ACD-N is the exception) and I have daily options on the Soap/Cream, ASB, AS and cologne.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, if your harem is big enough....

;)

13. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

No rotation. Use what ever looks at that moment.

14. I'm not organized enough to rotate. I mix it up based such things as; time I have; which razor is looking for attention; which razor has a blade ready to go; can I afford a nick this morning; etc. Then its whether cream or soap and that based on how I feel. I find soap gets to my face faster so short time frame sends me to the soaps.

15. bg42

bg42 New Member

Every time I think about rotation my thoughts just go round and round:D;)
    Kind regards Peter