Schick E vs Mongoose or Cobra?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Apr 26, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

I'm not asking about style but about function? If you have a Schick of any type and a Mongoose or Cobra how does the actual shave compare?

Steve

2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I will let you know in a few days.....

clint64 likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Unless they drop the price to around $30, I won't be able to make that comparison. Schick wins...

gorgo2, HoosierTrooper and theFAT98 like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very similar. An even better comparison would be a GEM. The biggest difference is in the quality of the blades used. The artist club style blades are much better from my experience. I wanted a modern all stainless machined razor and picked the Mongoose. Since getting the goose, I have added Schicks and was given two GEMs. I find the Mongoose very easy to use much like a Schick but shaves closer like my GEMs.

RaZorBurn123, wristwatchb and SDK like this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have all 3 razors. The Schick being the most forgiving and least aggressive. The Cobra is one great, aggressive and efficient razor with an inuitive build for ergonomics around the face. The Mongoose is a much heavier razor of the 3 with a bulkier head. However, the Mongoose gives an aggressive shave if used with the Feather Pro Super blade and is smoother than the Cobra.

RaZorBurn123, wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  6. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve.... I am trying to not get a Mongoose, at least until the aluminum version is released.... to try to keep the price down. (and under SWMBO radar)

7. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

Resistance is futile :)

jakie55 likes this.
  8. Bill01

Bill01 New Member

You can also trim the end off a Feather AC blade and use it in a Schick E injector (that opens for cleaning) if you prefer the AC type blades. On shave #7 with this blade in a Schick E2 and it's still smooth and close.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wait what? Are you having a Mongoose in transit to you?! :)

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Schicks shave great and win out on romance alone....I mean my Pop was issued an E-type in the Navy on his Distroyer during WWII...He said his ship mates really dug the fact that the Navy issed them such nice shavers...I do see where some of the soldiers were issued plastic handle GEM 1912's....and there were a few Gem Clog-prufs found in the mud where the Battle of the Bulge was fought...I think the GEM issued cats were lucky aswell. Does anyone know which Branch of the Service issued GEMs?

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Looks like Mongoose are making a razor that takes Schick injector blades. Could be interesting.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I know the Army issued GEMs but I don't know about any of the other branches.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

About $140 :bounce015:

14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Are Mongooses...errr Mongoosi...err Mongeese.......Whatever. Are they going to be available again? I have never tried one, only seen the Youtube Vid's and reports from users here but yet to see one for sale. Lastly, what makes them so special? They seem to have somewhat of a cult following.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They are delivering to people that have been on the waiting list. For those that want to get on the waiting list you have to send them an email. The real draw is the Artist Club blades it uses. They are working on an Aluminum version that they have indicated will be priced less than $100.

16. TheFiveO

Thanks Clint...as I am still learning day by day, the Feather Artist Blades deliver great performance I take it?

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They are 3 different manufactures of AC Blades presently. The two major ones are Feather and Kai out of Japan. Kamisori is the new one out of Canada. I have not tried this one and now that I have found my blade of choice I most likely will not give it a try. I have found the blades to be very consistent and long lasting. I can get 14 near BBS shaves out of one Feather Super Pro blade and could have likely get several more shaves. For comparison, I have never been able to get more than 3 shaves out of a DE blade. If purchased on the bay from Japan, the blades are comparable in price to Chinese Schick blades. In the end if one is looking for a modern machined all stainless razor, the Mongoose is priced very similar to the other options. However, the razor is heavier than the DE Stainless razor options. With the regular Feather or Kai blades, I found the Mongoose to shave very similar to a NEW LC or SC, smooth and efficient. With the Feather Super Pro it is more aggressive but still forgiving. It also allows one to use the AC blades in a familiar format before diving into the AC razors.

TheFiveO likes this.
  18. TheFiveO

Excellent info. Thank you Clint.