SoS: April 27, 2015 - May 3, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 26, 2015.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko April Focus - CJB Kamisori
    April 29, 2015 - Week 5 Day 4
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - VDH Boar
    Soap - St. Charles Shave Sandalwood
    Razor - '46 Gillette Aristocrat
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm

Finishing the month with a couple of comfy shaves. Pulled out the Aristocrat and a Voskhod and decided to try the St. Charles Shave Sandalwood soap I got a few weeks ago. I've tried some practice lathers with it but never shaved with it. It's a bit difficult to get a lather from it but it is very slick once you get it going. the lather seems to dissipate quickly but if you add some more water to it while loading the brush it seems to perform better. Great scent and no issues. Finished with a nice quiet alum and the Nivea balm just to help smooth things out and quiet the few areas I've left rough after a month of straight work. Nice shave and I'll do it again tomorrow. Now, I've had three hours sleep after a late night at work and off to do more!
    [​IMG]

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wow, how much colder do you want the Wintergreen soap? lol

Llyr, ram57, vwp528 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Ha! Is it ever enough?! :D Im not sure if 6 drops will make the Glacial Wintergreen colder than 4 drops. It may just cause irritation or cause my eyes to water, but 4 drops worked great - didnt even make my eyes water. Seems there has to be a wall with how cold the menthol will get.

Hodge, Llyr, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  4. crackstar

I find there is only ONE soap which can out-freeze the Glacials. The Chiseled Face Cryogen, and I don't find the difference big.

Llyr, ram57 and vwp528 like this.
  5. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I read your review(s) of the Cryogen and then when you retried the Glacial Spearmint. I plan to try the Cryogen soon.

Edit: Oh, and I have a Glacial Spearmint and a Glacial Lemon on the way...:)

Llyr, ram57, vwp528 and 1 other person like this.
  6. crackstar

The Spearmint is the only one of the new Glacials I've tried and the menthol effect definitely feels like it was increased. In fact I think ALL of them were. When I used the Spearmint I nearly collapsed!

Llyr, ram57, vwp528 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

And it sounds like you and @crackstar could be real good buddies with your menthol addiction! ;)[/quote]

THE COLDER THE BETTER!!!! LOL! I want to try the Cryogen soap, but I just cant bring myself to pay the shipping charge. I know if i order over $65.00 worth, its free shipping, but I have so much stuff now. I'll have to wait until i go through some more of m inventory.

Norcalnewb, Llyr, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Did you add any M-Bomb drops to it or did you use it as it came from the maker?

Llyr, ram57, crackstar and 1 other person like this.
  9. crackstar

I never used the M-Bomb. I only use these soaps in their original state.

Llyr, ram57 and vwp528 like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Purist!
    ;)

I used M-Bomb with the Stirling Cool soap before...brought tears to my eyes.
    :shocked003:

Norcalnewb, Llyr, spacehobo and 3 others like this.
  11. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I'll try them in their original state and then decide if I'm willing to add M-Bomb. To me, the M-Bomb can interfere with some scents. Btw, karma is gonna get you for reminding me about the Chiseled Face Cryogen. I just went to their site and noticed several scents that I want to try (like all of them). This is gonna be bad....

12. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I think I just ordered a sample of that. Is that their version of Polo Blue?

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nope, it's an older scent I don't believe Stirling carries anymore. Heavily mentholated with a coniferous, eucalyptus-like scent.

14. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

SOTD April 29.............

VieLong 12705 Horse Hair w/RazoRock Napoleon's Violet (bowl lather) I hadn't used either of these in several months. Very nice combo with great lather.............
    Schick G1 Injector w/Schick Blade (Made that 10th shave!!)
    Witch Hazel finished off with Barbasol Pacific Rush Aftershave

2-pass WTG & XTG for a DFS!

photo.JPG

15. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Happy Birthday!

Llyr, vwp528, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  16. crackstar

Rod was saying he uses a pound of menthol crystals in each batch of the Glacial soaps. He was saying that any more than that would kill the scent. The Cyrogen smells only from menthol - nothing else.

17. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I just checked and I ordered Stirling "Blu"... Polo "Blue" Makes sense, right?! :o

Llyr, vwp528 and ram57 like this.
  18. crackstar

lol I wouldn't want to make the scent of the soap disappear by overloading it with menthol! :)

Llyr, vwp528 and ram57 like this.
  19. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg Razor: Dubl Duck Special #1 1947-52 (rescaled)
    Gillette New LC Bar Handle 1930s
    Brush: Vintage Ever-Ready 675 badger
    Mug: Old Spice 1985 Cobalt Blue
    Cream: TOBS Coconut cream
    Blade: Feather (4)
    Post shave: Thayers Cucumber WH, Jack Black Post Shave Gel, Old Spice Lime original Shulton AS Frosted Glass 1960s

Day 3 with the Dubl Duck. Lathered up the TOBS with the badger. Spent extra time hydrating my beard, so I could try to get closer with the Duck. Started like my last shave going from my sideburn to my jaw line on my right side, and my left side with my left hand. That went so well I did my neck on my left side. Looking good, so left hand right hand going easy trying to figure out the best approach. Getting better and a little closer. Not pushing my luck I stopped there and finished with my FB, and only needed 1 pass. Still working all the angles, but getting better. Nice cucumber smell with the WH, and then some soothing JB Gel. After cleanup some vintage OS Lime. Y'all have a good one.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SOTD: Wednesday, April 29
    Soap: If you don't know by now, you don't frequent this thread... [​IMG]
    Brush: Yup, just what you thought.
    Razor: Why change now???
    Blade: Just say, I am being "prepped" in the OR [​IMG]
    Aftershave: I'll give you three (3) guesses and the first two (2) don't count. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a great day!