May 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What is your razor type of choice for May?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. DE

66.7%
  2. SE or Injector

20.0%
  3. Traditional Straight

13.3%
  4. Kamisori/fixed or replaceable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shavette/barber razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carts/Disposables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Not Listed (please post choice on thread if desired)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    Here are the brushes I am using during May.
    1. Omega 6214 silvertip
    2. Omega 10006 boar
    3. Vie-Long 13061M
    4. TGN finest
    5. TGN synthetic

I am using Dusy Kabinett for each shave except for the first few lathers. I have 3-5 lathers left in a jar of St. James cream that I will use up before I start on the Dusy.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

My brushes will be my focus for May also. I'll take a picture and post the brushes tomorrow. I'll use Jack's Soap for my May focus, and Gillette Super Speed razors. Gillette Platinum will be the blade I use.
    Thanks Troy good idea.

3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Prep- Hot shower, facial scrub
    Razor- Genco Henry XX
    Brush- Omega 48
    Soap- Caties Bubbles LPV
    Post- Pinaud Bayrum

Not a bad way at all to start this focus. Three passes and a very acceptable shave with not much irritation, and maybe one or two nicks. The razor didn't feel smooth though and ultimately that's what I want to get down so there is plenty of work to be done. I'm having a problem stretching my skin so that could be a contributing factor that I'll try and work on. Also patches of roughness that you can't see and where it's smooth it's bbs so I'll take that.

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brushes3.jpg

Front Row:
    WDC-1,,Black Badger(Whipped Dog Knot) (Grandfather's Brush)
    WDC-2, High Mountain Badger(Whipped Dog Knot) (Grandfather's Brush)
    Fendrihan, Silvertip Badger
    Fendrihan, Silvertip Badger
    Whipped Dog, Silvertip
    J. Peterman 1903, Silvertip

Back Row:
    WDC3, Olivewood Silvertip
    Frank Shaving, Best Badger 22/55 Rosewood Handle
    Frank Shaving, Best Badger 22/55 Beachwood Handle
    Semogue 1305, Boar
    Frank Shaving, Best Badger (travel brush) 20/45 Faux Ebony Handle
    Razors will be Gillette Super Speeds, Blade Gillette Platinum.
    Soap will be Jack's Soap.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  5. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Really curious to see how the TGN finest compares to the TGN synthetic. These are the two knots I am considering for the group buy olive wood handle...

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I'm thinking of either the TGN synthetic or WD synthetic for the olive wood handle.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The Olivewood Silvertip (deep set) is a Whipped Dog. Takes a bit of getting used to, but works well especially with hard soaps.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide what knot to use for the olive wood handle group buy. Looking forward to your May focus. Should get some info to help me make up my mind.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

How's the WD High Mountain Badger?

Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Mayhem for me begins on Saturday and will include my Weber PH loaded with a Feather blade. I plan to rotate between different "high-end" products, including MdC, XPEC, and Le Pere Lucien. I'll mainly use my Rudy Vey two-bander, but I may use other brushes as well. My goal is to see if any of these high-end products can perform as well as, or better than, Arko for me.

I will only poke fun at others on days beginning with a "T" - Tuesday, Thursday, today, tomorrow, etc. :D

photo.jpg

spacehobo, SDK, Troy M and 8 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like the High Mountain Badger. I find it works best with soft soap and creams. I don't use many creams, but the ones I've used I use this brush.

wristwatchb, SDK and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Today is day one of the May focus, or Day 5 of the Feather Hi Stainless. I started out with my 1966 SuperSpeed, and switched to my new to me 1951 Canadian Fat handled Travel Tech. I found the blade and mild razor to be a great combination, once I got used to the sharpness of the blade. I found it to be significantly sharper than the Lord Platinum Class or Wilkinson Sword I have been using since November. I had great shaves, with today's being BBS on the cheeks but some irritation on the neck. I think it is time to change to another blade for tomorrow.

wristwatchb, SDK, txskimo and 6 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am thinking of a proper 30 Day rule with a new injector model...pics in the morning. I am looking forward to a fun-filled May!

wristwatchb, SDK, txskimo and 6 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Welcome to the 30 Day thread!

wristwatchb, SDK and clint64 like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

wristwatchb, SDK, Seabs and 3 others like this.
  16. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

In honor of my favorite photo from the Spring cleaning PIF, I am going to make at least one full pass with a straight each shave and finish up with my Merkur progress loaded with a Wilkinson sword. The tribute will be to use my Stirling "Barbershop" soap. Today marks my first full pass with my Gemstar custom wtg and xtg on cheeks. Had a bit of a burn, but I figure, after a month or three, I'll get the hang of it! PELUQ.jpg rsz__20150430_155355.jpg
    Cheers,
    Eric

17. Bama Samurai

Nice Plan! We need gratuitous close ups of your straights! Show them off for the class!

spacehobo, wristwatchb, SDK and 5 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I am unfamiliar with Dusy. I look forward to your thoughts on it...I will look it up. :happy088:

wristwatchb, SDK and Troy M like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

That is a sleek razor!
    Get a Plisson and call it good. YMMV, but it's an awesome brush. Soft, great for face lathering...plenty of backbone, and will deliver enough lather to hold a Miami nightclub party when you're done with pass two. Plus it's synthetic and can be shaken almost completely dry. I am done buying brushes. I will use the 48 for fun sometimes, or for hard pucks like VDH, but I am on the synthetic bandwagon.

jakie55, wristwatchb, SDK and 3 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Wow! You're likely on wanted posters in mountain badger communities. Nice Collection! Why do you favor higher grade badger so much?

wristwatchb, SDK, Drygulch and 2 others like this.