Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Your palate is becoming more refined. It happens.

txskimo likes this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I tried searching for Lancers slices in Tobacco Reviews but got no results. Was there anything else to the name?

3. Bama Samurai

Douglas Carey and txskimo like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You can get some pretty good vintage pipes by going the refurbished route, and at some pretty good prices too. My old Lorenzo was picked up for $50. Comparable new pipes would be much more.

Ceferguson and txskimo like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

txskimo likes this.
  6. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Well you'd think that from the smell of the tobacco you'd be getting punched in the face with it, but like I said I found it rather mild. I say this but then again this is from a PIF and it's in a zip lock so maybe that's changed the flavor a bit.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That could be, if it was in the zip lock bag for a while. You know, pipe tobacco is a lot like wet shaving, YMMV!

txskimo likes this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpg This afternoon I enjoyed a Stokkebye Bullseye coin, rubbed out, and combined with an equal portion of McClelland 5100 Red Cake. Stokkebye Bullseye is very good on its own, but I wanted to try adding the Red Cake, which is a straight red Virginia. Red Cake is good by itself also, and is used in blending. Very nice! Smoked in a Neerup pipe that is a sitter, no need for a stand.

David Green and txskimo like this.
  9. txskimo

Neat looking pipe

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks! I bought it from Peder Jeppensen, who owns and makes Neerup pipes. He was at The Briary's annual pipe event three or four years ago.

txskimo likes this.
  11. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    I had some 7 year old SG FVF in a Mr Brog a few days ago. I thought about having a pipe today even. Just look at the sugar blooming on that 7 y/o Baccy!

BamaT and txskimo like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Can you tell a difference in the 7 year aged FVF? Virginias usually benefit from aging. This is a blend I need to try.

13. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Virginia's always benefit from aging. I have FVF in various stages of it at all times. As well as Stokkebye Luxury and Bullseye Coin.
    Yes, you can tell a difference. It certainly mellows the FVF and takes away the initial "grassy" taste that I find in Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake when it's younger.
    I'm from the camp that all Baccy benefits some from aging. Of course that doesn't mean I won't smoke a tin right away either!

txskimo, Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Enjoying a flake of Orlik Golden Sliced, in a rusticated Roma bent billiard, as I write these words.

KcHighLife, txskimo and BamaT like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

I am becoming more anti-Latakia as time goes on. It ghosts pipes, stinks up rooms, and dominates all other flavor for me. I have found Orlik and Dunhill Flake great for de-ghosting pipes.

My current Faves (in no particular order) - note they are all flake cut or Navy cut...

1) Orlik Golden Sliced (Va/Per)
    2) Dunhill Flake (straight VA)
    3) Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (Va/per)
    4) Petersen University Flake (Va/Burley)
    5) Bell's Three Nuns (Va/fired Burley/perique)
    6) Escudo Navy DeLuxe (king of the Virginia/Perique style)
    7) Capstan Blue Flake (straight Va)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    txskimo and BamaT like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Beautiful pipe, nice looking flakes!

17. txskimo

Gawith medium Virginia is what the ziplock says. Very nice smoke as I watch some baseball.

Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  18. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I have been enjoying some Black Gold in a straight MM Rob Roy. These fine spring mornings are just the ticket after a long hard winter!
    I have a few briars, and I tend to gravitate toward Savinelli, but the majority of my collection are cobs. I tried them, and they just fit like a pair of old blue jeans. So normally for me, it is a cob of some sort. I am thinking about getting a couple of Walker Forever Stems since I like them so well.
    I didn't know the Shave Den had a place to talk pipes, but I'm glad to see it. I am usually at PSF, and I am on there as Ol' Cob. Nice to meet up with you gents!
    Monty... aka Ol' Cob.

KcHighLife and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

That is a fine pipe, and I highly recommend them! I have found that it handles Frog Morton very well when not packed too tight, and a number of Va's and Aros.

20. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Before I read any further down to see how you got along with your Cobs, let me just welcome you to the club! I'm that sure you will like them. ;-)