Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Man oh man Bama T! You are speaking my language. I just used a Hornaday Critical Defense 9mm on a peice of maple as my latest tamper. usually it is whatever I have at hand at that moment... pipe nail, bolt, my wife's finger... ;-) I had not considered a 7.62x54 casing. I love my Mosin though, and this gives me an excuse to go shoot it! I swear, that is the straightest shooting rifle I have ever shot! I bought it because of the price, I keep it because of the quality! Hmm.... it's kinda like my cobs.

Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Russian firearms are noted mostly for being rugged and reliable, but I really like my Mosin, it's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Most of my plinking is inside of 100 yards, and mine is plenty accurate at that distance, even with surplus ammo.

When you get a chance, post a pic of your maple/9mm case tamp, I'd love to see it.

Bama Samurai and txskimo like this.
  3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I need to take my Mosin out and give her some love, I can't remember the last time I've shot it

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

20150505_174852_resized.jpg

Just a wee dram of Lagavulin 16 to complete the picture. :)

BamaT, txskimo and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Pipe needed a place to rest! Carry on!

BamaT, txskimo and richgem like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Vision Spinner II with Fin extra bold carts topped with Johnson Creek juice. Sometimes I miss my old Dr. Grabow Starfire (just like this one) but once my ex-smoker Dad had half a lung removed, decided there's no point in waking up any genetic potential. Still love the smell of pipe tobacco...sometimes I open up my can of Molto Dolce just to take a whiff.

BamaT and txskimo like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Not familiar with Purplw Cow, what is that blend like?

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand that, although typically pipe smokers don't inhale. Still, although IMHO pipes and/or cigars aren't as dangerous as cigarettes, we have to acknowledge this isn't exactly a health food.

KcHighLife, txskimo and gorgo2 like this.
  9. richgem

I'm more of a cigar smoker (and at that only maybe 1 or 2x/mo during warmer weather), but I got the itch to try pipes a while back. I got sick of the aromatics pretty fast and missed the taste of cigars. So, my pipe tobaccos (purple cow included) have some cigar leaf in them. I'd describe PC as a non-aromatic with a touch of cigar taste (but still not overly strong).

Here's the online review: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2682/cornell-diehl-purple-cow

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly right, I just don't want to risk having a susceptibility to oral cancer, if that happens to be how genetics might work, y'know? Nothing like the smell of a good pipe, though.

11. richgem

The one plus side, at least for men, is that nicotine can be anti-estrogenic by inhibiting aromatase. Some suggestion that it's also a fat burner.
    http://examine.com/supplements/Nicotine/

txskimo likes this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the aromatics, tiring of them pretty quickly long ago. I prefer mostly Virginia or Virginia/Perique blends. Most new pipe smokers are drawn to aromatics because of how they smell. And they might taste fine for a short period, then they turn into something else. I've been eyeing a Hearth and Home blend, Signature Virginia Spice. As the name implies, it's a Virginia blend with Perique and cigar leaf.

Edit: after reading the reviews on Purple Cow, I might have to put that on my list to try. I like some latakia blends, but not the overpowering ones, and according to what I read the latakia is added as a condiment, not the main course. Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake is kind of like that, in that you can barely taste the latakia, but it adds to the overall blend. Oh, and the chocolate in Chocolate Flake is more of a subtle cocoa flavor, not a sweet aromatic chocolate.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    txskimo and richgem like this.
  13. richgem

The one aromatic I still like is Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening. Just yummy... with a maple syrup room note.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2077/cornell-diehl-autumn-evening

txskimo likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Just a flake of Orlik Golden Sliced folded and screwed into a vintage Kaywoodie as I peruse TSD this afternoon!

I am now a confirmed VA, Va/Per, Va/Burley smoker. I have lost my taste for almost all aromatic and Latakia blends.

15. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I know this is a stupid question but what us vaper I see it quite often

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

VaPer is shorthand for Virginia cut with Perique. Escudo Navy De Luxe is a prime example.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'very been thinking about visiting a Virginia/burley or Va/Bur/Per blend, versus the Virginias and VaPers. Any suggestions?

18. Bama Samurai

Try Peterson University Flake - minimally cased, superb VA/Burley

BamaT likes this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

How is the nicotene hit on that? I'm a little sensitive to nicotene.

20. Bama Samurai

It's moderately strong, will definitely crank your tractor. Burley tends to be higher in Nicotine than Virginia, as evidenced in that most flue cured Burley in America is consumed as cigarettes.