My vintage strops- and a restoration

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Drygulch, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So these are a few of the vintage strops I purchased when I was figuring out how to make strops. I got these as non usable display pieces price wise. My original thought was to pirate the hardware off them to make new strops. I still might do that for the one with no leather on it. Top one is heavily pasted canvas, with no leather left. Middle one is Shell Cordovan, with a couple of nicks on the right side. Bottom one was listed as having "a few nicks and cuts" on it by the seller. Its also the one I restored.
    Vintage 1.JPG Vintage 2.JPG Little Cut.JPG

NewellVW and txskimo like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So on this strop, the leather was machine sewn to the canvas at the top with very light thread, and riveted to the leather at the bottom to make a loop. I cut the thread at the top, and tried to remove the rivets at the bottom. When they came out they tore the canvas bad enough that I just cut the canvas right above them. In addition to "a few nicks and cuts" this leather was also so dry it would not have been savable anyways. I dug through my scrap bin and found a piece of horsehide. It was in the scrap bin because it had a bit of loose grain, so I would not have been able to make a strop for sale out of it, so I decided to experiment. After I rounded and burnished the edges, I wet the leather, and worked saddle soap into both sides. Then I glassed the leather. This is done with leather carving to firm up and compact the grain, to make the carving crisper. In this case, I wanted to see if it would make for an even stropping surface. Rather than doing any sewing, I attached the leather with copper rivets. I also replaced the shoelace hanging strap.
    Done 4.JPG Done 2.JPG Done 3.JPG Done 1.JPG

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Adam, those are cool looking old strops. Your leather work is outstanding!

txskimo and Drygulch like this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Really nice work Adam :happy088:

Drygulch likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Really really neat

txskimo and Drygulch like this.
  6. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I like it

Drygulch likes this.
  7. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Nice restoration, I have an old horsehide strop that somebody gave me, the stitching was coming apart but the hide was still usable,I managed to use a domestic sewing machine with a leather needle and going very slowly managed to re stitch it, I treated it with a little neatsfoot oil, and now I reckon it will last a good few more years!!

Drygulch likes this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice work Adam!

Drygulch likes this.