May 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What is your razor type of choice for May?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. DE

66.7%
  2. SE or Injector

20.0%
  3. Traditional Straight

13.3%
  4. Kamisori/fixed or replaceable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shavette/barber razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carts/Disposables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Not Listed (please post choice on thread if desired)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I have the amazing results with the help of a de but without it I just haven't been able to achieve the same results

Drygulch, clint64 and Seabs like this.
  2. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

How many passes are you doing with the straight?

Bama Samurai and clint64 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used a DE razor (Muhle r41) for 'clean-up' duty after my SR shaves for at least the first 2-3 months. But about 3 months of SR shaves, I was starting to really get the hang of all the angles and tough spots so eventually, the DE wasn't necessary.
    But that's just MY experience. Some get the hang of it much faster. I'm more of a 'slow & steady' approach kinda guy….;) 3 SR passes, plus touch-up, became my norm. Now sometimes I can get by with two thorough passes.

4. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I think I need to try and cut down on the number of strokes that is considered a pass.

Drygulch and NCoxSTL like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Two (or maybe three, at most) short downward strokes is usually enough for a single SR pass. With some razors, a single long stroke will work, but I prefer short, measured stories with a slight overlap
    Watch Lynn Abrams in this video at the 15:20 mark where he is shaving from sideburn to jawline…short, overlapping strokes…he goes over the area TWICE and is done!

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I noticed last month with the CJB that I had to concentrate on longer strokes and not as many short ones covering the same area. Irritation deluxe with too many in my experience.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's the only thing I haven't tried yet. Actually it is ok since I figured out to just drown it. It's just not going to be a rich lather like I want apparently so I'll whine about it...plus I don't dig the smell but I can live with that and also whine. It will all be over soon.

8. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I also think I may grow out my goatee again

9. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Shave three of the Israeli Red Personna, with the Canadian fat tech. It was another amazing shave. At times, I had to recheck to make sure that I actually had a blade in the razor. Derby cream, mug lathering, and a BBS shave.... so great!

Bama Samurai and clint64 like this.
  10. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I usually do 3 passes but tonight I did 4. I figured I haven't shaved in almost a week and the extra pass couldn't hurt. Surprising results and the after shave didn't sting as much as I thought it would. Sorry for the shortness but I've been gone for the house for over 14 hours a day at a time and my mind just needs to relax after work lol. Hopefully I'll get a day off soon and can spend the time on a more detailed focus.

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If it's Modern Williams, the secret is to throw the puck out the window. LOL!!

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Blade Focus Day 12:

Homemade PS Oil
    Vie-long Horsehair Brush
    Pacific Shaving Co Caffeinated SC
    EJ Chatsworth Barley
    Bluebird blade
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Barbasol Pacific Rush AS

Real nice shave this morning. The Bluebird blade was a pleasant surprise as I got a DFS+. I have to admit I had never heard of Bluebird blades, and maybe it is purely in comparison to the past two blade experiences, but I definitely enjoyed this blade. I will reserve final judgement until I get three shaves in, but this one is promising.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/12/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade –Feather Super Pro (14)
    Brush –Rubberset 400-3 with WSP HMW
    Lather – B&M Seville
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol Limon Sample

[​IMG]

Another great near BBS 2 pass shave this morning. I had to work a little harder to get the same results. I am very pleased with the consistently good shaves over the course of 14 days. I will be changing the blade before the next shave. The B&M Seville soap is one of my favorite soaps. I really enjoy the scent and the performance. Finished up with witch hazel and Myrsol Limon from my sample pack.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Do you find the lather from the B&M soaps needing to be very thin to last long enough for a shave? I haven't been able to get it as thick as I would like, but I do get great results from it, and like the scents.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Day#11 of the 30-Day Focus
    ..and Day 4 with the Otto Straight Razor.
    A quick two-pass shave which left me with a DFS! Excellent lather-production using my Omega 48—probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck brushes out there.
    For the two passes, I started with the standard downward (WTG) stroke, re-lather and then commence with a combination of horizontal strokes above the jawline and upward strokes on the throat.
    I have a relatively light beard so some mornings, two passes will do just fine, especially on those mornings in which I'm pressed for time.
    [​IMG]

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have been able to get it as thick as most of the my other soaps. I do find B&M to be very thirsty and requires me adding water to the brush several times during face lathering. It took me several tries to get it dialed in. For this mornings shave I did a full 2 passes and some touch ups and had enough left over in the brush for another 2 passes easy. Having said that, I have found that for the Mongoose a very thick lather causes issues. This razor works best if the lather is not as thick but very slick. I hope this helps.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thanks! I have been using B&M this month, and struggle between getting lather and soup. I haven't quite hit that sweet spot of enough but not too much water.

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I understand completely. I have it dialed in on a couple of brushes but a couple of the other still are hit and miss. The nice thing about the soap is it works pretty good even if I mess it up.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 12, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Tweezerman Badger
    Soap - Williams :angry019: Mug Shave Soap
    Razor - Soyuz 1
    Blade - [​IMG](2)Post - Alum, Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm

Day two of the almighty Sharp. Had about 26 hours of growth so a better test. The only thing I can really say is I have to pass it...I was able to achieve a CCS. If I had to go to work today I could go and not look bad. That's about it. It's dull, draggy, though not nearly as bad as the Baili, and just a lot more work than the shave is really worth. I did three full passes including ATG on my face which I rarely have to do plus some major touch ups on the neck. All of that plus one nick for CCS? Nope, never going to consider it a rotation blade. EVER!

Tomorrow is the last day for the Sharp on the schedule and I'm going to stick with it but in the Rapira. Let's see what a more aggressive razor will do with it. Heck, I'm not scared :eek:. Besides, I"m getting great sympathy from SWMBO at this point...she thinks I'm a bit mentally unstable so she's being very nice to me. Or she's a bit worried. Every time I smell Williams my eye starts twitching.
    [​IMG]

20. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Hey Guys- Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes. I am back at work today and finally coming out of it. Will get a proper post up soon, but for now...

Still having great shaves with the Mongoose. I have not had the energy to change the blade, so am still shaving with the original Feather Pro. I have lost track of how many shaves, but it is already substantially more than with any other blade I have ever used. It still has not degraded a bit either.

Will elaborate and get a picture up again in a day or two.

Enjoy your shaves gentlemen!
    Scott

jakie55, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.