Soap/Cream Help

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GooseCretian, May 15, 2015.

1. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

Good morning, afternoon, or evening depending on where you are. I wasn't sure where to post this as there are two separate forums for soaps and creams. So I decided to post here since I am a newbie. Please feel free to move if needed.

Being a newbie, I currently only have two soaps (croaps). Proraso green & red. I absolutely love the red. It gives me a better shave than the green. Seems slicker to me. Any who, I am looking at getting two new soaps/creams and have narrowed it down to four. The reason for two is I will be purchasing other things and the budget....well you know. Was looking for the wealth of knowledge and experience to possibly guide me. So here are my options:

Truefitt and Hill 1805 - Have heard wonderful things about all their products
    TOBS - Either Sandalwood or Jermyn Street
    Castle and Forbes Lime Oil - Seems like it would be a good summer cream
    Cella - The least expensive of the choices but has very good reviews. Have read a almond/cherry scent with great lather

Truefitt and Hill & Castle and Forbes seem a little pricey but the raves on both of them makes me want to give them a go. I know there will not a be a consensus on the choices but am really looking for any experience the folks have had. I know that YMMV, but being new I am ready to try different things.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

crackstar, spacehobo and wristwatchb like this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome!

You can't go wrong with TOBS. Their Sandalwoood and Jermyn St are two of my favorites. The Castle & Forbes Lime smells like candy lime or the lime found in Trix cereal. I'm not a fan. I haven't tried the others so no comments there for me. I'm also going to suggest Tabac soap. Buying a refill puck isn't' that expensive, it lasts forever, and the soap is amazing.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Of what you have listed, I've only used the ToBS Sandalwood. Love it! Won't hesitate to buy more if/when this runs out. :)

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello! Welcome to TSD.

GooseCretian likes this.
  5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

You will not go wrong with Truefitt and Hill or ToB. I like castle Forbes Lime. It is on my must have in the Den but so are T&H and ToB Eton.

GooseCretian and spacehobo like this.
  6. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

Okay, so far TOBS is a go. Think I'll go with the sandalwood. One down, one to go.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

TOBS and cella=P I have only tried those two, but honestly cella does a great job. Im not sure about the other ones. I have read they are good though, I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way

GooseCretian likes this.
  8. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

Cella and Castle Forbes are amazing. They have given me the best shaves i've ever had. TOBS is a great performer also. There are places to get samples for cheap so that you can try them out. At the ShaveDen shop you can get samples for all of them except for cella. Or you could try Maggards.

GooseCretian and Omelmad like this.
  9. gms541

gms541 Member

Tabac is a great soap, but you might also try Mikes Natural Soap. Very rich like Tabac but lower price. I have them both and enjoy them.

spacehobo and Omelmad like this.
  10. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

I have read that Tabac gives an awesome shave but that it is one of those that have a scent you either love or hate.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm someone who likes the scent, but honestly, after using it a couple of times I don't even smell it anymore.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

Hey you can always get a TSD soap, it is very good

GooseCretian, Seabs and spacehobo like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:

GooseCretian, spacehobo and Omelmad like this.
  14. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

As for the TOBS Sandalwood - I like it, I own it, I use it (mostly in the bath tub) and I will use it sporadically for face shaving. It does fine, but the scent...it isn't bad at all, but it reminds me of the bath pearls that my grandmother (not grandfather) used to have. Maybe that's why I mostly use it while taking a bath? I dunno. I also have the Proraso Red and very strongly favor the Proraso Red Sandalwood scent over the TOBS. Others will feel the exact opposite. YMMV.

I haven't tried any of the other scents or brands, so no experience here to base an opinion.

BTW, I agree. I love TSD soaps (and a few others). I was making a wish list a little earlier of various TSD scents I want to try. Also, JoAnna (@Queen of Blades) will take care of you as a customer. I had placed two separate orders, and she combined the orders on her own (and got my 2nd order ready very quickly) so she could ship it all with only one shipping fee. You'll see lots of people, myself included, talking about other soaps, but don't overlook the TSD soaps either. They lather great and are very slick!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    GooseCretian and Seabs like this.
  15. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

Welp.....call it easily influenced. I went ahead and just purchased two tubs of TSD soap. So many scents to choose from.

16. Omelmad

Cool =) what scents Did you Choose? I have the lemongrass, but mine is iced =) and I have a sample of pumpkin harvest

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! You're off to a great start!

18. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

Bourbon vanilla and coconut lime verbena. Wife chose the latter.

spacehobo likes this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

of your list, I have 1805and Cella. love both
    have not tried tobs or castle Forbes, yet.
    May I suggest a six packof Coates if your on a budget.

GooseCretian likes this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Castle Forbes Lime is great in the summer. CF is one of my all time favorites, it makes an amazing amount of lather, very slick and a little bit goes along way. It costs more but the quality is there and it lasts the longest of all my software.

GooseCretian and Omelmad like this.