Lather quality and the West Coast Drought

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by nsomnac, May 17, 2015.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I've been noticing over the last several months the quality and consistency of building up a good slick protective lather that doesn't just disintegrate within a few minutes has become almost impossible.

FWIW: I've been using the same jar of Proaso since January (getting close to needing to replenish supply).

Since I live in California and the west coast is experiencing one of the worst droughts - the water we are tapping according to some sources is hundreds to thousands of years old. I presume the mineral composition and chlorine content has changed drastically and believe it's the source of the problem in building a good lather (scuttle, bowl, and face all equally bad).

I've not tested our water hardness yet this year (but we usually float around 20 grains) . I can tell chlorine content is much higher than usual just by smell.

Any other west coasters experiencing this problem? Any suggestions on countering this - short of a new softener or moving to another state? Different soap suggestions or techniques?

Thanks!

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

chlorine goes away with sunlight. set a pitcher on the counter for a day of shave. just to test your theory.
    isn't all water old?

John Beeman likes this.
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Proraso??? Try a good soap or crème. Proraso wont lather well in my water either

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

We get most of our water from Hetch Hetchy and a few local reservoirs. The water is fairly soft, so no change in lather quality. A number of nearby areas have polluted groundwater, so I doubt they will start pumping from wells again unless absolutely forced to do so.

Your local utility should have a water quality page on their website, and it should have relevant information. Some wetshavers who have had issue with water hardness got better results using bottled water. Maybe that would work for you, too?

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Ours is groundwater on the Central Coast. Local vintners have sucked the basin pretty low. Normally the Proaso lathers fine. It's just gotten much worse over the last few months.

Bottled water might not be a bad idea. Worth a try.