Olivewood Handle Group Build

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TheFiveO, May 16, 2015.

1. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Well I am sorry for those of you missing/waiting on either the handle or the knots. My ADHD finally overcame me after the 4th coating of urethane and I decided to set the knot. Okay so what I have done is uber basic,but still, I think this guy will make a happy addition to the brush den.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test drive....... The TGN Synthetic has a surprising amount of backbone.
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to see some of the beautiful creations my fellow members come up with.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That looks great. I love the grain and shape of that handle :)

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks happy to me. How do you like that synthetic knot?

4. TheFiveO

I don't know just yet as I only have one face lather "test" with RR Tobacco. Initial impression is a great face painter style brush, not a ton of splay and what splay there is pushes lather aside. Easy to whip foam lather. Fairly stiff backbone, but I did set knot a little deep I think.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking good.

6. jrjones60

jrjones60 New Member

With the possible problems of not enough true oil in grooves etc. what would be the problem of using the Tru-Oil in the aerosol can instead of wiping it on with a cloth?

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am thinking about cannibalizing an omega for mine. I just do not want to sand and refinish. Nice handle but not worth the trouble.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think it is more about taking the time to add multiple coats. I am finding that it is building up nicely in the grooves etc. Just need to take the time to allow the Tru-Oil to dry fully between coats.

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just put in my order for the silver tip with Larry at WD.
    [​IMG]

Redrock likes this.
  10. TheFiveO

Can't wait to see how it comes out Jim. I thought of going silvertip but had zero synths so figured I'd try one

Troy M and Jayaruh like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A single rubdown of Renaissance wax is all I used on the olive wood prior to epoxying the synthetic knot into place.
    No need to presoak a synthetic knot so 'water-saturating' the wood isn't a concern. In fact, very little water is required for this knot to generate good lather.
    [​IMG]

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My 2 band finest fan from TGN arrived today. If I am lucky, I have it set in the handle before the end of the week.

Jayaruh and Troy M like this.
  13. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Just picked up my handle from the post office today. I'm thinking a Whipped Dog high mountain. Before that, I need to decide what I want to do for waterproofing.

Jayaruh, Troy M and mikewood like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Applied the second coat of poly urethane today after sanding again. Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger knot standing by.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Troy M likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I thank you for your comments. I have one synthetic already, and I was on the edge about getting one for the OW handle. I wanted something I knew would please me, so I bit the bullet and ordered the silvertip. The synthetic looks great, but I like to splay my brushes.

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sanded and applied the third coat of PU today. Handle looking great!

clint64 likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just sanded and applied the second coat of polyurethane. It is a beautiful handle. I am not seeing any movement on my knot though. I guess I won't see it until sometime next week.
    poly3.jpg
    I am very happy with the way mine is coming out. Just waiting on the knot. It is still sitting in Texas somewhere.
    olivewood04.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Red Rider, jimmy Mac, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I've been staring at mine and trying to decide what to do with it. I may spend some time watching this thread for inspiration.

The handle is absolutely beautiful!

Jayaruh and Bobcat like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A vase for very small flowers?

Jayaruh, trey06dmd and SDK like this.
  20. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Don't be bitter because I acquired a Mongoose before you managed to get your hands on three of them :D

Darkbulb likes this.