Olivewood Handle Group Build

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TheFiveO, May 16, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I STILL have not heard from them! :(

2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I picked up a brand new B2 privately, so I have not technically heard from them either. Will let you know when I do.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I sanded the brush handle and went with 4 coats of Tru Oil sanding between coats. After the final cure I went with 3 coats of Renaissance Wax. I thought of a WD Synthetic Knot for this handle but by the time I got around to ordering, Larry was out of stock. Patience is not one of my finer points, so knowing that I love TGN Finest knots, I decided to go with a 24mm TGN Finest Fan set at 50mm. I decided to use silicon adhesive instead of epoxy in case I have issues with the handle or want to change the depth of the knot. I need to let it cure for 24 hours so I'm looking forward to using this on Monday's shave.

[​IMG]

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful. You made a great choice for the knot. I have a finest fan in a frank shaving brush and I love it.

clint64 likes this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you for the kind words. You're the wood working genius.

MoAllen and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Looks great Clint!

clint64 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Boojum1

Applied the final coat of polyurathane this morning. Will test set knot tomorrow AM.

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Clint has a way with handles :D

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy097:

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

What a stunning work! Looks amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am a little jealous I didn't go with badger as I am on the fence with my synthetic.

I love the marbling in that handle. Great job!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you guys for the kind words. I'll try to get rid of some of the badger funk in the brush this afternoon. Looking forward to using it tomorrow.

12. Boojum1

Test set WD High Mountain Knot this morning and all went well. Used Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix. The hardest part was breaking the seal on the epoxy. It tore my finger up pretty good. :ashamed001: Kept the blood off the brush while I set the knot.
    Success! It looks pretty good for my first brush project.

Final sanding on Saturday 5/23
    IMG_1966-1.jpg

Knot set at 25X50mm on Sunday 05/24
    IMG_1973-1.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

ObiDon, Redrock, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Mark, that looks fantastic.

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. TheFiveO

As we say in my circle of friends.......That looks Bad A.... uhhh Bravo Alpha!! ;):signs021:

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. I like the HM Badgers. I have two. I am going with the silvertip for my OWH.
    Edit: somehow very nice just doesn't do it. Beautiful. Unfortunately I am no wordsmith. But you did a great job there.

TheFiveO and Boojum1 like this.
  16. Boojum1

Thank you gentlemen. Working on the brush was a lot of fun. This brush will be sent to @michaelAD who lured me back to Wet Shaving after years of carts. :thanks:

wristwatchb, GDCarrington and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very generous

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. jrjones60

jrjones60 New Member

Okay guys.....Since I have absolutely no knowledge or experience working with wood I have a couple of questions:
    1. Could I use the Tru-Oil aerosol can instead of wiping it on with a cloth? If so, what would the downside be, if any?
    2. Why do you sand after each coat of Tru-Oil. What is the purpose? I thought the objective is to build up layers.
    3. What do you use to sand with? Steel wool, sand paper, what?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not sure about the aerosol so I will leave that to the experts. You sand lightly between coats to eliminate any imperfections in that coat. For sanding between coats I used a synthetic pad that approximates extra fine steel wool. Be sure to wipe down with a damp cloth or tack cloth after sanding before you apply the next coat.

20. TheFiveO

I agree. I have a HM that Larry did for me in one of his handles. Very nice

Jayaruh likes this.