Unscented aftershave lotion or aftershave balm. Sheesh…what next?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, May 25, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Now I realize this posting may raise some eyebrows….after all, what is aftershave lotion or aftershave balm without the scent. Some might say that’s like coffee without the caffeine or a dress shirt without buttons, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly, or a car without cup holders, or bacon and eggs without the eggs (or worse…without the bacon). Well, you get the picture…

But seriously, for those of us who can’t tolerate scented products or for those among us who are employed in scent-free workplaces wearing scented products are a definite no-no. While you might think your lotion makes you smell like a slice of heaven, for others it can be deadly serious and send them into an anaphylactic reaction. While some may swoon and collapse when they catch a whiff of your aftershave, it may be for all the wrong reasons.

Over the years I have accepted my unscented fate and embarked on an endless search for lotions and potions to sooth my skin after a clean shave and a hot towel. Wearing nothing after a shave is IMO a bit primitive, a bit like going to the mailbox in the morning in your underwear. Something to be frowned upon.

So here is my short list of natural and unscented (at least no artificial scents) salves. Most are found in my kitchen which tends to come in handy. I can make my coffee, put in my toast, flip my egg and sooth my skin at the same time.

1. Coconut oil. As they say, “a little dab will do ya”…Very soothing, non-greasy, costs next to nothing. My personal favorite.

2. Olive oil. Again a very small amount will work just fine. I find if you use too much on your clean shaven face you can feel like a greased pig or a slippery trout. If your cheeks glisten in the sunlight, ease up you are using too much. Tip: Easy does it, less is more...

3. Eucerin cream base (generally not found in the kitchen). This cream is inexpensive and can be found in most pharmacies (sometimes found behind the pharmacy counter). It works best when mixed with a bit of water and massaged into your skin. Great for winter weather when your skin is dry and feels like crackers. Very soothing.

I find oils like jojoba, lanolin, grapeseed and others might work well as a preshave oil, but for an aftershave they don’t seem to absorb as well.

I would be interested to hear your aftershave experiences with unscented products…

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Bristle Me and Rufus T. like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Shea Butter is my go to "non-scented" post shave. It does have a natural scent, but for my nose is not offensive.

HolyRollah and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Thanks Primo...I have heard of this this product, but never tried it myself. Do you buy it in its natural state, or do you tend to buy it processed as a cream? Natural food store or pharmacy? I will look for this next time I am shopping.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Witch hazel

If you're going to buy shea butter, look at soap making suppliers, they'll be less costly.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I find that superior 70 gets the job done with a very mild scent. I doubt
    anyone standing close to you could smell it.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I purchase mine in its natural state (unrefined) from Amazon. The moisturizing and healing properties work great on my face and hands, and a container lasts a very long time. I find the natural scent and texture to vary slightly from batch to batch. It's a "nutty" scent to my nose and not at all offensive. I plan to always have a container of USB in my den. A big thanks to @celestino for putting me onto this a couple of years ago.

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Get Speick balm.

9. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I like Thayers and Aveeno for men lotion. Thayers has a bit of an Oder but leaves immediately.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am using an organic, raw, unrefined shea butter that I purchased here: http://www.theorganicsheabutter.com/
    I am very satisfied with the product.

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Glacial Alcolado has a mild minty scent that lasts for about 5 minutes. It does have a pretty good dose of menthol though. This might be a good summertime option for you.
    I'll also second the witch hazel. I use it post shave. I use the cheap stuff from the drugstore.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yep—great post-shave balm. JUST a dab will do ya', though, other wise you'll be glistening for hours….:D

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

AOS Kelp balm has a slight salty smell that disappears quickly. GameDay has menthol in it, but that scent is entirely gone in a couple of minutes

14. Rusty blade

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...I will give them a try!

15. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Raw organic Shea butter/stirling u scented balm or Nivea sensitive are all great. I tend to use the Shea butter in the cold dry months a lot in the evenings. And a little goes a long way so it lasts a really long time.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Unrefined Shea Butter can also be found at any beauty supply store for a decent price. I was there the other day and a small tub was $3 and a large tub was $7. I picked up the large tub because my gf also uses it quite often. it can some in white or yellow. im not sure if there is any difference other than color but I got the white/beige one.

17. MrBandGuy

MrBandGuy Member

Thanks for this thread. I may need to explore a bit as the wifey has a fragrance allergy. Nothing that really affects me, except her preference, but still. Happy wife and all that. :)

18. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

I like aveeno fragrance free lotion. I actually use it after using alcohol based scented products that have no ingredients that are moisturizing. The aveeno feels real pleasant and moisturizes my face very well.

19. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

Dove Hydrate also has a very mild scent that disappears quickly.

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Witch Hazel for me as well. It's distilled from mulched twigs, so it has an odor. What I refer to as "eau dé charred newspaper." I find it non-offensive and the scent is gone in minutes.

I also use aftershave afterwards, but non scentys can skip this step.